Metal Cone Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice to see this post again - I wonder ...

If we could put all these 6.5"-7" metal drivers on to the same open baffles and cut them all off at the high end with low pass filters of the same type and frequency,

(we'd have to choose lowest common denominator high and low frequencies)

then we matched them all with the same tweeter and played them all at the same volume,

would we still hear clear differences and would we reach agreement on which were the best?

Of course we choose drivers mostly on the basis of their frequency response, efficiency, max SPL, Q, etc. but still ...

Bas Horneman said:
PS...That still leaves unanswered why it is made so hard by the manufacturer to find out where and at what price something is available.

It seems to me that She and Ted must at least compete against each other...

On the surface..it does not seem like people at Bandor care about selling..
Bandor is currently undergoing some transitions and Doreen Bance doesn't do the web site herself.

She's not interested in competing with Ted. They both do their own thing and, after so many years in the industry, neither feels that they have anything to prove.

I believe that Doreen gets as many orders as she wants so she doesn't really do selling. I have in the past posted a recommendation that any DIYer who wishes to buy Bandor drivers should do it quickly. This advice still stands.

If you're genuinely interested, you can telephone Doreen on +44 (0) 1494 714058.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mikewong said:
I am thinking of using the above drivers
with MTM sealed box in mind.
Xover at 4000hz.

Box volume of about 140 litres. 4K is high for an MTM with this size driver... the Jordan will reach that high, but the interdriver spacing will be too high. 3.5->4 k is an ideal XO for the JX150 thou, perhaps you might want to consider a bi-pole

dave
planet10/not a big MTM fan

Re: Something reasonably priced

MIKET said:
MCM electronics has a nice 6.5" driver that is the big brother of the speaker used by Bottleheads superwhamodyne which I have built for my own system, these aluminum cone drivers sound very fast and open
http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/mcm/html/55-1860.html

Hello,

I've done some testing and design work on the MCM 55-1860 woofer. It's got a kind of ragged response, but if crossed over low and mated with a tweeter than can also cross over low, it can sound really good.

Response of 55-1860 on large infinite baffle

Response of 55-1860 in a box with 8.5" x 13" baffle showing diffraction loss

4th order filter design for a crossover point of 1950hz

Final response in enclosure with filter

I've posted a design using the 55-1855 5" aluminum woofer. It also has similar limitations and has to be crossed over low, but aside from that it is a great sounding high value woofer.

None of these however compare to the sound of the Seas L15. I've posted a design of that here. It's a very smooth, clean and detailed driver, my favorite of the low cost metal cones. IMHO, the only way to get something better is to fork out the big bucks for a pair of Excel drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Something reasonably priced

Zaph said:
the 55-1855 5" aluminum woofer. It also has similar limitations and has to be crossed over low, but aside from that it is a great sounding high value woofer.

In my project with these, i found that a little cone treatment killed the breakup and i was able to run it full-range and just bring in a tweeter at the top.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.