Onkyo speakers I just got.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a pair of onkyo front speakers. They have SK-02 as the model. I cannot find em anywhere.
Can someone throw some light on them - good ? bad ? ugly ?

Now They look, and feel a lot like the Infinity RS625's I had, right down to the color of these cabinets and the carbon fiber drivers. These however have 3 drivers, a 10 woofer, and 4 inch mid and a tweeter unlike the 2 in the RS625 (tweeter and the 8 inch woofer) and 2 8 inch passive radiators.

Can someone show/tell me more info on them. They have 91 SPL, 8 ohm and 100 watts max from the sticker on the back, and a 35 to 20K hz capacity.

I am thinking I could brace and stuff the cabinets like I did on the rs625's as well as add feet to the base which also adds weight low down in the cabinet and braces as well wihtout taking away volume.

Thanks in advance.
Cool.
Srinath.

This is the pics in the post from the seller.
The drivers are 10 inch IMG and 4 inch and 2 inch ... and the upper 10 inch is a passive rad.

Thanks,
Srinath.

Attachments

• onkyo-SK02-speakers.jpg
    onkyo-SK02-speakers.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
They look just like speakers sold here by Dick Smith, so as a WAG I'd hazard generic 3-way, using cheapest possible drivers and XO components/stages to save money and maximize profit.

But I have been wrong before and sometimes such systems sound quite good
( At low levels anyway )

I had a set of rs625's recently, the 6000's I had a long time ago, I dont remember them in the same detail.
Yea those pics are poor. But this is what I see in it.
The cover is a plastic mounded and curved on the top side deal with nice fat pegs. The RS625 I had was straight cover but almost the same.
The drivers are IMG with IMG dust caps, much like Infinity, the 10 inch and passive 10 inch really look like the infinity's passive and driver, except those were 8's.
Then for size of cabinet, weight, and most all else on paper and to my ear it sounds like the RS625's. The other difference is, these were not poly stuffed, which on my infinity coould ahve been the work of the previous owner. More pics when I figure it out. These have almost the same numbers, look and feel as the infinity's, more bass maybe, but they need stuffing. I am still in the break in mode for these, cos they may have sat forever without getting played, so I take it easy a few hours.
Thanks for all the ones who responded.
Cool.
Srinath.

Speakers that "look just like" other speakers are probably just that. These are most likely mass marketed from a "system" sold at a big box store. Considering they sell for $50/pair or less, I doubt they have much in common with their "high end" look alikes.

Dont go by what I paid for them, because the RS625's I paid even less than these, I got those free. People do not like to move these big heavy objects around the house or across town. Anyway, these are atleast 20 years old, and while they had cheap **** boxes then too, its not the same white van culture that we have now.
Of course the whole mass market existed then too, all the drivers came possibly from a couple of companies, cabinets, crossovers, like wise.
Anyway I have pulled the drivers out, they look to me on the inside as well like the RS625's with the lack of stuffing being the only difference I have seen so far. BTW the 625's I had were stuffed like a dead moose on a mantel piece. No way that was stock, the previous owner prolly crammed a whole mattress worth in it.
I plan to repeat that feat with this and see how it works.
Past that, I have no clue, Maybe I should look for a name and logo on the drivers/crossovers etc.
I have seen over a 100 speaker sets from the early 90's in my live so far, and I think the carbon fiber (Injection Moulded Graphite) drivers in the early 90's were pretty much in the high $$ stuff. AFAIK, Infinity used them in the 625's, the 6000's had mylar I think, and most of the rest of them used paper or polypropelene or olefin or somehting impregnated with those etc.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.