New some help on a build, I don't know where to start! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default New some help on a build, I don't know where to start!

I think i put this in the right section as full range as the speakers i want to include should cover it!! I think!!!

I have thought of a project i would like to carry out but have no experience with speakers and audio what so ever. I have a vast knowledge of electrical
electronics like wiring a house and so have a very good understanding of general electrical. I also do have skills in fabrication and a bit of carpentry and so i naturally thought that this wouldn't be as hard as i have now found out.

Basically I want to make a dock for my iPhone. It will be a cuboid in shape and will feature two 4" mid speakers, one tweeter and 2 6" mid - sub. It will be powered on a single channel. I started a thread about another project on the OcUK forums and they said my best bet was to ask for help on here so here i am! I then started looking around at some of the stuff and i was amazed about how complex it was to house a speaker, with volume, materials, compartments, breathe holes, the length of the holes, distance from the speaker the holes are and most of all the tuning. I just don't understand any of it.

Is there a beginners thread/website already started on how to make a speaker cabinet? Can someone give me some basic principles for me to work with!!!?? Thanks, all appreciated!!
Old 16th February 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
...I have a vast knowledge of electrical
electronics like wiring a house and so have a very good understanding of general electrical. ...
Welcome Boscoe. Good that you already know Alternate Current...

There are many places where you can learn. You have a lot to read, easy and more technical. If I was you, I would buy a kit for a start.

PE - How To Build Your Own Loudspeakers
Lenard Audio Institute - Speaker principles
KITS VISATON
KITS INTERTECHNIK

Last edited by Inductor; 16th February 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 16th February 2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Welcome Boscoe. Good that you already know Alternate Current...

There are many places where you can learn. You have a lot to read, easy and more technical. If I was you, I would buy a kit for a start.
Thanks for the reply but making a kit isn't going to help me learn why that cabinet is used with the particular speaker in the kit. I also know how to construct a cabinet, designs and why those designs work is what i need to learn where can i find this?
Old 16th February 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nice rundown on lots of different enclosures here

LDSG Appendix A - Enclosures

This site is good to see how the different boxes work in more detail...

The Subwoofer DIY Page

Happy reading
Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!