Need design help for charity auction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I hope someone out there is willing to provide me with some design help. I plan on building three way speakers for my local church charity auction coming up in mid April, I would like to use NOS drivers that I have accumulated over the years. I can handle wood working OK, I really need help with : 1. driver selection, 2. crossover and box design.

I already have a pair of Scan Speak 13M/8640 and two pairs of Axon 10k01 woofers. It would be great if I could use the Axon drivers- I know they make a very odd pair with the SS...
I am open to any tweeter option as long as the cost is reasonable (around $100 -$150 per pair).

I hope someone on the forum would be kind enough to donate their time and expertise?

Let me know
Jean

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. The Seas definitely would work for the price range, (I looked it up at Madisound). I also looked at 27TBCD/GB-DXT (H1499), also in the same price range- they have been getting great reviews as well!. Can someone provide input / recommendation on the crossover? Madisound states they would only design XO for drivers they sell. I really appreciate the help! Please remember this is going to benefit my local church!

Thank you again!
Jean

Thank you for the input. As I stated I will implement what the members of this forum will recommend for driver selection and XO design. I understand that it takes a lot of experience to get it "right", I just want to get it "close". I appreciate the help!

Jean
Austin Texas

Well, I am a little bit dusty on Xover design. The first thing is to generate a FRD file for the Axon driver. We don't have an impedance graph of this driver so we will have to simplify the calculations. I am attaching the resulting FRD file.
Over the weekend I'll try to find the FRD and ZMA files of the midrange driver and either tweeters we mentioned.

Attachments

• Axon 10K-01.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thank you for the input. As I stated I will implement what the members of this forum will recommend for driver selection and XO design. I understand that it takes a lot of experience to get it "right", I just want to get it "close". I appreciate the help!

Jean
Austin Texas

Thank you Pmolina!
I found one file at:
Seas 27TDFC - H1189.frd
Driver FRD & ZMA files

I am still looking for the others
After reading posts twice:
Tweeter Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT - H1499: It didn't look right, who recommended it? From what I see that driver is going to be a difficult implementation, give me a good lead...

Tweeter Seas 27TDFC - H1189: this driver from last post that pmolina recommended (post #5) looks better, Jean.

Last edited:
I am attaching the files I used and generated to input on Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer. Unfortunately I got a Visual Basic error and cannot visualize the resulting circuit diagram, although I can see the resulting graphs and values. But I think this is only happening to me.

If anyone could open the files on Passive Crossover Designer and take a second thought, it would help. I think we are almost there...

Attachments

• Project church.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 39
PA 3-WAY XOVER FOR Axon 10k01-04 Woofer, SS13M/8640, SEAS 27TDFC: 52L/38Hz, 89dB, WMT

Well, it's a zip file too. I just double checked it and it's ok. I'm using winzip 12 if that gives a clue...
Yes, I know, that's vertical formated, it's good for me.
The others, that I can't read properly are from FRD, they are horizontal formated.
Any way I come up with a xover that can be looked at.
(Note: It's a simulation with no real driver data files, just to model a PA working xover).

It is interesting that when I model the xover I did a test for an WMT and WTM, being that the first models better, but I would love to build the second one (maybe better dispersion, I don't know, since one woofer and mid on the opposite sides), and they are very phase coherent, the 3 drivers from 500Hz to 5000Hz. Specs are 89dB +/-1dB (48 - 20KHz) w/-10dB@32Hz.

Woofer - BR 52L (internal)/38Hz
Mid - BR 5L (internal)/95Hz
Approximated size of the box external: H57cmxW32cmxD42cm
Shelf thickness (main box) in cm: 1.6
Volume total in Litres: 60.1 (counting w/driver vol. and ~6/7L box for mid)

Drivers:
Axon 10k01-04 Woofer
SS 13M/8640-00 4in Midrange
SEAS Prestige 27TDFC (H1189)

Attachments

• 3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 1frequency.gif
    3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 1frequency.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 2phase.gif
    3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 2phase.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 3elect.gif
    3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 3elect.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
PA 3-WAY XOVER FOR Axon 10k01-04 Woofer, SS13M/8640, SEAS 27TDFC: 52L/38Hz, 89dB, WMT

Xover: 2.order, 3-Way 250/2KHz.
Feel free to change at will and have a happy event. Enjoy.:wave:

Attachments

• 3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 4pa-xover.JPG
    3-WAY AXON - SS-SEAS, 52L, 38Hz - 89dB - WMT - 4pa-xover.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.