Will this horn/driver combo beam? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
Why not add a tweeter and two more horns ? If you want to use tractrix you need many horns for best results. Otherwise use CD horn and EQ the heck of it.
More crossover points, and less of a point source dispersion, which is things I dont like in my loudspeakers

Wouldnt it work to just use a plug pictured above to reduse beaming?
Old 7th May 2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Horns are designed to beam. Why not use a horn/waveguide designed to produce the polar pattern you want? What is your objective?
Old 7th May 2010, 02:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
Horns are designed to beam. Why not use a horn/waveguide designed to produce the polar pattern you want? What is your objective?
Because I like the sound of these horns, and I've have yet to find a 400hz cf waveguide. I frequenly see fullrange drivers with large phase plugs to improve dispersion, why not do the same with tractrix/Le Cleach horns? I guess you would have to eq the top end though, to get flat on axis?

Last edited by Defo; 7th May 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 8th May 2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, if you move toward a constant directivity WG, you will need more top end EQ for flat on-axis response...but think about where that additional energy goes. Assuming a phase plug changes polar response, and therefore modifies in-room direct/reflected energy, the result will sound different than the horns you say you like. Better than the horns you like? Worse?

It seems doubtful you can find a phase plug design that won't muck up a tractrix or LeCleach flare. So, IMO, the best solution for you is to pick a proven horn/WG design and buy or build it. If you want to try a CD WG, DDS makes a 24" WG that may approach 400Hz.
Old 8th May 2010, 04:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Don't stick a plug in the middle of the horn to get wider directivity. That will just give you more reflections. Instead build a horn or waveguide that gives you the pattern that you want.

Related to your earlier question about LeCleac'h vs tractrix, in some cases at least the LeCleac'h will have wider (lower) directivity at some frequencies. See below:
LeCleac'h 275Hz:
Click the image to open in full size.

Tractrix 275Hz:
Click the image to open in full size.

Looking at the -6dB curves, the LC is about +/- 40 degrees at 500hz, about +/-30 at 1kHz, and a bit over +/-20 at 3kHz (a decade about the flair frequency). The tractrix is about +/- 45 degrees at 500hz, +/- 25 at 1kHz, and a bit over +/20 at 3kHz. So the LeCleac'h looks to be narrower at low frequencies and its pattern narrows smoothly as frequency increases while the tractrix goes down to a narrower pattern and then stays more constant as frequency increases. I imagine you could build a LeCleac'h with a faster flair and it would have a wider pattern.
Old 8th May 2010, 07:08 PM   #16
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
Precisely. Plugs in horns are a bad idea - only makes things worse.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Precisely. Plugs in horns are a bad idea - only makes things worse.
Could you elaborate a bit please? I dont see why a small shallow plug could be so bad? But I guess the use of them in fullrange apps is a bit different then in horns.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:54 PM   #18
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

The plug will be a big diffraction point generating a lot of HOM. Its not the way to improve beaming. A good waveguide is really the only viable way to do this. Thats what makes them so attractive.
Old 9th May 2010, 01:00 AM   #19
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not concerned with beaming as I only sit in one position when I listen to music. When I am not "listening" and have the system on, I am doing things around the house and the music is just background. Maybe I am missing something, but if your system is not in a night club or trying to have equal coverage across a wide audiance, then beaming should not be an issue.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:37 AM   #20
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
I am not concerned with beaming as I only sit in one position when I listen to music.
I thought you dumped Tractrix because it was too beamy.

You're not going to get spaciousness with a beamy rendering of the program....

Hide this!Advertise here!