Will this horn/driver combo beam?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I am missing something, but if your system is not in a night club or trying to have equal coverage across a wide audiance, then beaming should not be an issue.

Your power response goes all to hell if you beam so your on axis and reflected sound fields don't match. Not a good thing in my mind. I have both types of systems, one that beams and one that doesn't. The beamer takes the back seat. Definately give which ever horn you are considering a listen if you can.

Rob:)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
CD-horn (=MantaRay) - is the way to go, if you also want other listeners to enjoy the music in your livingroom...
I tried StereoLab Tractrix-horns...they came off after 2 days. The sweetspot could be measured in millimeters...
Maybe the older 511/811 horns would work too.

Arne K

Attachments

• Altec XXL.JPG
    Altec XXL.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 185
Here's a cheap PE 10"WG with EQ with the Selenium D220t:
4558863258_e209f0b424_o.jpg

Not too much beaming there, but it's response is rough in a couple spots above 8kHz and there gets to be more reflections in the far off axis graphs. Fortunately out hearing doesn't do so well up there. That graph is 11.25 degrees off center out to 90 degrees in 11.25 degree steps.

Dan

I thought you dumped Tractrix because it was too beamy. :confused:

You're not going to get spaciousness with a beamy rendering of the program....

It was not that they were too beamy, I felt, to my ear, there was a lack of depth and width of sound stage. I'm not very good with these terms and maybe that is what too beamy means.

After hearing Tubino's Yucci's and Dan's new horns I wanted that wider and deeper sound stage.

hey Dan - not shabby at all for that 10" PE WG - was it on Econowave highpass?

The high pass is a behringer CX3400 (or whatever it's numbers are). It's their active 3 way crossover.

Here's some graphs of that 12"PE WG with the Eminence ASD1001:
on axis:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

11.25 off axis:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

22.5 off axis:

33.75 off axis:

45 off axis:

The Eminence beams more than the Selenium, but it is considerably cheaper. If wide dispersion is the goal, the Eminence isn't a good option. It seems you weren't too worried about the money.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Dan

I am not concerned with beaming as I only sit in one position when I listen to music. When I am not "listening" and have the system on, I am doing things around the house and the music is just background. Maybe I am missing something, but if your system is not in a night club or trying to have equal coverage across a wide audiance, then beaming should not be an issue.

No matter where you sit what you hear is far more than just the direct sound. In fact the direct sound is a small portion of the total sound field that you perceive. The direct sound is critical, make no mistake about it, but just as important are the tembre of the reflections and the reverb field, and these won't be right unless the whole polar response is right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.