Full-Range bipolar centre channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
First pics of the prototype RS 40-1197 bipolar centre channel. These are an ML-TL. Since it is doing CC duty we needed to mount the drivers magnet-to-magnet (which works well -- i can get the speakers a couple inches closer to the TV than in the bottom frame without any rainbows on the TV monitor). Chris did such a good job that i could only get a piece of paper between the magnets, to ensure tight mechanical coupling. The drivers were mounted from behind the baffle to maximize the depth of the cabinet (length & cross-section are fixed by the ML-TL parameters). These are destined to accompany a set of 4 RS40-1197 BD-Pipes in a friends HT system (the Red ones at the bottom of the page are the fronts). They are also accompanied by a Red push-push sub using 1 pr of Foster extended range 12". In the next iterations we will squeeze the FR closer to the edge of the pipe so as to be able to add the super-tweeter vertically (it comes in at 10k).

dave

Attachments

• shuya-ml-tl-cc.jpg
    shuya-ml-tl-cc.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 567
Nice work!!!...I`m in the middle designing a centre channel speaker myself driven by the LM 3886`s I came across (posted in another thread)...what frequency are they crossed at>??? and I have never heard a dipole are they as good as what I have read?.....oh and nice job on the bevelled openings...great dispersaion I bet!!!

Cheers!!The DIRT®

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JOE DIRT® said:
Nice work!!!...I`m in the middle designing a centre channel speaker myself driven by the LM 3886`s I came across (posted in another thread)...what frequency are they crossed at>??? and I have never heard a dipole are they as good as what I have read?.....oh and nice job on the bevelled openings...great dispersaion I bet!!!

ChrisB's work. I just assemble them. XO is at 10k and they are bipoles not dipoles. The distinction is important.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
how do they sound dave. i wish i got to hear them and put them together when i was there..

I won't get a chance to give them a real listen since they are off to Shuya's today. They do have the characteristic sound of previous 1197 kit we've built so i am comfortable they are going to sound real fine...

i guess 2 weeks wasn't enuff... there is a whole bunch of stuff we didn't get at while you were here.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.