Two way - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 04:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mistertrent
Default Two way

I have been a musician for about 15 years, spend most of my time in front of my computer, listening to other peoples music, games, work I have created, movies, I basically just treat my ears a 24 hour a day experience. But my old trusty purplies have died.

I am trying to come up with a good combination of mid/woofer and tweeter combo for a good accurate all round setup. I use Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, and AKG K-300's for headphones, but since my speakers have died, I have been forced into some $15 desktop PC Speakers...

So far I have been looking at the Vifa P17WJ-00-08 for the mid/woofer's just to start things off with an all round decent performer, I can get this driver, and put it into a matching cabinet that I made myself easy enough, but matching it with a tweeter and knowing what kind of crossover to make, is something I am lacking experience in. My last design was a hack job. I bought some woofer/mid's on special, then bought some tweeters independantly, both Vifa, from Jaycar, with no decision as to why I chose the two... then worked really hard to make them sound good together, and eventually they did, after some zobel networks and attenuation networks, padding, tuning, lots of glue and screws, and ears.

My main question here would be "What should I look for when looking at Data Sheets with tweeter drivers, so that I can make a decent decision?."

And for another question. "I'm studying Visual Design at Uni right now... I want to learn more about audio, ... what audio does in the air, the mechanics of speakers creating the audio, etc, what subject would cover all this stuff?"
Old 11th February 2010, 05:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just googled the vifa driver and found this:

Project Showcase
Old 11th February 2010, 05:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I read that page, he seems to have similarly chosen his tweeter randomly as well as my last project... , he 'bought the special of the day'. Should I just buy what's on special again, and see what happens? lol
Old 11th February 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Plenty of established designs for that woofer using Vifa tweeters, The old D27-45-06 is supposed to work well in combination,
Old 11th February 2010, 08:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool, i'll buy a pair of those as well, and see what I can come up with.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just noticed the D27TG-45-06 you mentioned was 6ohm? How do you combine 6ohm and 8ohm together? Bad?
Old 11th February 2010, 10:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It is just a matter of sensibility- The crossover network will take care of the single component.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hell ! Don't buy it just because I said so, wait for other input.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have the rest figured out so the tweeters can wait till later I guess. I was using BassBox software to work out most of it, but the last time I used that, I was told by someone who makes speakers all the time that all the calculations were wrong, and BassBox got it wrong. Any other programs or websites or anything I should look at instead?
Old 11th February 2010, 11:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bass box I'm not familiar with but box calculations are not that hard, I assume you want to go ported? but important question is this a bookshelf, stand mount or tower you want.

How big or small do you want/need these are you going to use with a subwoofer? now or in the future

Hide this!Advertise here!