Dayton WT3 Speaker Tester - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton WT3 Speaker Tester

Any thoughts on this device?

I am thinking I want to roll my own 3-way crossover. I have X-Over Pro, but I think it would be best to not rely on published data for the drivers.

I want to not only get the T/S parameters, but the acoustic data as well and that can be problematic relying on published data if it even exists.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have the WT3, and it's pretty cool. But it only does T-S data, it doesn't present a frequency response graph.

The jigs and such for the various free packages seem to be for the purpose of doing impedence sweeps / T-S measurement. I think it should be possible to implement just the frequency response measurement more easily. That's what I'm hoping, anyway. I'm looking forward to putting some effort in this direction, but haven't yet.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The WT3 is the coolest audio test gadget I own. Big thumbs up.

It's small, easy to use and super fast. And it seems to give very accurate and repeatable results. I use "Added Mass" for the Vas measurement. Get one with a scale if you don't have a scale that will measure to the gram. You'll want that for the added mass Vas measurements.

Having the actual impedance curve and T/S params of the driver you're working with is great. Very nice for unknown or vintage drivers, too. Running the impedance sweep once the driver is in the box or on the baffle is sweet. Really helps with box tuning and crossover work.

And it's small enough that I've mailed it to several friends so that they might use it.

It's not for frequency response measurements, that's a whole other rig. It does what it's designed to do; Impedance & T/S. And it does it very well.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What do you use as your added mass, Pano? I've used rope-caulk with screws stuck in it, but I think I was getting inconsistant adhesion to the cone and my measurements were varying.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamThorne View Post
What do you use as your added mass, Pano? I've used rope-caulk with screws stuck in it, but I think I was getting inconsistant adhesion to the cone and my measurements were varying.
It's not the ideal technique, but I test woofers laying on their back sides and use 3 nickles equally spaced around the dust cap for my delta mass measurements. That works for most cases except the heaviest cone/woofer assemblies. A very heavy cone/VC assembly can throw off some of the measurements with this orientation because the motor is having to fignt the force of gravity which is doesn't as much with a horizontal orientation.
Ideally, test woofers horizontal like they would be mounted in a cabinet. Use rope caulking stuck around the dust cap.

BTW, I've never had much success testing tweeters with the WT3. The plotting can't seem to find the impedance peak. It just goes left to the lowest freq and hangs up. Any suggetions anyone who's overcome this?

It's true, the basic WT3 will not do frequency response. However, visit the Smith & Larson web site www.woofertester.com
They have a 'woofer tester pro' that will also do the FR measurement.
I have found their service to be excellent and software updates are free.

Last edited by skeptic43; 10th February 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:34 PM   #6
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic43 View Post
It's not the ideal technique, but I test woofers laying on their back sides and use 3 nickles equally spaced around the dust cap for my delta mass measurements. That works for most cases except the heaviest cone/woofer assemblies. A very heavy cone/VC assembly can throw off some of the measurements with this orientation because the motor is having to fignt the force of gravity which is doesn't as much with a horizontal orientation.
Ideally, test woofers horizontal like they would be mounted in a cabinet. Use rope caulking stuck around the dust cap.

BTW, I've never had much success testing tweeters with the WT3. The plotting can't seem to find the impedance peak. It just goes left to the lowest freq and hangs up. Any suggetions anyone who's overcome this?
Get the latest version of the software, it will then give you Fs/etc for tweeters.
Old 10th February 2010, 04:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I prefer supporting the guys that designed it, not the Chinese knock off. The original unit will export test results into BaseBox Pro.

woofertester.com
Old 10th February 2010, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello Loren42

If you do a lot of speakers, it's worthwhile to invest in one of these devices to measure TS. I have yet to come across a manufacturers' TS that's accurate.

Below is LMS TS of a new Peerless 830869. Manufacturer's Vas is 70.3L. LMS measures 184L. 70L to 184L. What a discrepancy.

There goes my plans for a 35L, 3-way Studio Monitor. Looks like its going to be a 70L tower.

Regards
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS_830869.jpg (137.3 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg MANU_TS_869.jpg (38.7 KB, 385 views)
Old 10th February 2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post
I prefer supporting the guys that designed it, not the Chinese knock off.
I didn't know about the SL device when I bought the WT3. The SL looks like it does a lot more, at least the software does. Either would be very handy tools.

For mass I've used coins, rope caulk and magnets. I was afraid the magnets might throw off the measurements, but they don't seem to. At least on 15" drivers. I use 4 magnets, 2 on the front, 2 on the back. Driver horizontal.

Note: With the WT3 you need roughly the weight of the cone to get a good reading. Less gives inconsistent results.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
I didn't know about the SL device when I bought the WT3. The SL looks like it does a lot more, at least the software does. Either would be very handy tools.
Ya but at ten times the cost....

Is that extra SW functionality really worth $800...? I guess it would be for pros, but I doubt it's a wise choice for diy.

Hide this!Advertise here!