Monitor Golds - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2010, 03:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holty View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Having done some research i think i will go with the enclosures i built many years ago. They are original plans from Tannoy and the internal dimensions are 760mm high, 400mm wide,and 260mm deep. I will increase the thickness of the sides to 18mm min. and the front baffle to at least 22mm thick, as they are for 15mm thick material. I think these enclosures are the sealed Chatworth rectangular design(please correct me if wrong as its hard to find dimensions for the 12"cabs.) Also what is the calculation to get the internal litres for these dimensions. Sorry if this is basic stuff but i dont do this diy building too often.

Could i also incorporate a GRF design into this enclosure or even a port.
76x40x26 = 79 litres. But that's an external dimension volume.
Old 12th February 2010, 04:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,
to get amount of liters, multiply each dimension (in decimeters).
Like 760mm - 7,6
400mm - 4
260mm - 2

Danny
Old 12th February 2010, 04:54 PM   #13
algoart is offline algoart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Holty,
Tall and slim? Well, I put my 10 inch Tannoys in a cabinet inspired by the Tannoy "Kensington", Planet10's Mini Onken & by the Onken Calculator!
The result: a 110 cm x 35 cm x 38 cm (H-W-D) cabinet with distributed/Onken ports. This volume could work well with your 12 inchers too.

The speakers are smooth and very responsive. Sound great (not just my opinion)! Using a test CD, others with better ears, hear tones at 23 hz and I pick up 25 hz.

As an example, the Massive Attack & Nusrat Ali Khan remix "Must Must" is stunning on these 10 inchers! Controled bass and plenty of it, reaching way down! Guess I got lucky!

Best of luck with your construction,
Alistair
Old 12th February 2010, 07:41 PM   #14
Holty is offline Holty  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks 5th element and barackuda as simple as that.
That design algoart looks just what i've been looking for. Looked on the Planet 10 site and is it the one with the beveled front edges. The dimensions dont look the same as yours. Could you provide a link to the page please. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2010, 09:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Holty,
I designed them myself, based on the ideas I've mentioned (so no web page).
I can fix up a drawing for you (with dimensions) over the weekend.

Using the Onken Calculator, you can calculate the best vent size for your cabinet/speaker combination.

I used 18mm ply, pre-cut by my local DIY store (B&Q) in a very solid & simple glue & screw construction. I can also put up a couple of pics if you want, although they are still waiting for veneer and wood finishing.

Let me know if any of the above helps. I'm based near Canterbury if you want to listen.

Alistair
Old 13th February 2010, 01:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=algoart;2083476]Hi Holty,
I designed them myself, based on the ideas I've mentioned (so no web page).
I can fix up a drawing for you (with dimensions) over the weekend.

Using the Onken Calculator, you can calculate the best vent size for your cabinet/speaker combination.

I used 18mm ply, pre-cut by my local DIY store (B&Q) in a very solid & simple glue & screw construction. I can also put up a couple of pics if you want, although they are still waiting for veneer and wood finishing.

Let me know if any of the above helps. I'm based near Canterbury if you want to listen.

Alistair[/QUOTE

Yes please Alistair all of that would be helpful. Do B&Q charge for the cutting?
I'm up in Nottingham so a bit too far but thanks for the invite.

Jim
Old 13th February 2010, 01:51 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi again,
You can download the Onken Calculator here:
ONKEN_CALC - download free
You can find the T&S parameters for Monitor Gold 12" here:
tannoy
I'll get a couple of pics made and sort out construction drawing for tomorrow.

(edit) B&Q take 5P per cut after the first 3 (IIRC) free cuts.

Alistair

Last edited by algoart; 13th February 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 13th February 2010, 02:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Tannoy project

Not having heard Tannoy speakers, I am curious what makes them so desirable? Is it only certain models? I ran across a large pair in a electronics repair shop last year that seemed inexpensively priced. But, not knowing anything about them, I did not know if it was a bargain.

Are the cones and surrounds replaceable on these older Tannoy's?

Good luck with your project...it sounds very interesting.
Old 13th February 2010, 02:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Homebuilder,
I came to Tannoys via fullrange.
The sound of their Dual Concentric drivers are, for me, integrated and smooth. The way that voice is presented is classy!
Check out what Troels says:
15"
and also:
Tannoy III LZ,

edit: Yes, the cones/surrounds can be replaced :-)

The best info on Tannoy models and driver types is here:
TANNOY Monitor Gold dual concentric speakers

There is a lot of activity on british eBay, and it may help you gauge fair/current pricing: tannoy, Floor Standing Speakers, Bookshelf Wall Mount Speakers, Surround Home Cinema Speakers items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

You will quickly see that the DC's are way more expensive than other Tannoys, and that there are vast price differences inside the DC ranges.
Some are extremely rare, check this out (and still 8 days bidding left)!:
2 Superb Tannoy Monitor Silver 12? 'speakers & Xovers on eBay (end time 21-Feb-10 20:57:28 GMT)

Last edited by algoart; 13th February 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 13th February 2010, 07:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pics Alistair i am sure they will look good as well as sound good.
Downloaded the calculator in Excel but couldn't type the values in, the same in pdf.

Those Silvers are fetching silly money dont know whether they are better than the Golds though, perhaps because they are older.

The Gold's starting at 550 eh. To think i only paid 35 for mine in the early seventies.

Hi homebuilder. Well now you have seen those on Ebay keep an eye open over there you could make some money. The Tannoy duals have a very good midrange and with the treble controls you can get it suitable for all the trickiest of rooms. The bass in my origanal cabs were a bit muffled and boomy but now i Know a few things about room interaction i think i can overcome it. Suspended wooden floors need some work on them to get rid of the boom.

Hide this!Advertise here!