Custom 12" Eminence woofers - from davygrvy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2010, 07:54 PM   #1
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Custom 12" Eminence woofers - from davygrvy

Thought it would be interesting to hear about what others have done with these.
Mine are in purple 3ft3 boxes (that were for AC12 subs a few years ago). Using one Scanvent for aperiodic. Room layout requires close to wall system so it worked out to use these 12's sealed with room lift filling in to get good bass into 30's (subjective listening to bass tracks) .
A little rumble in the floor but not quite sub woofer levels of course. May try mltl later for full f3 depth - into electronic music.
Very nice clean lower mids, so good transition to midrange. For now I have FE108EZ's in OB on top. 108's - nice mids, but a little harsh in treble so will be trying other ideas. They seem to be a good spl match, so I have an idea what to look for in other drivers. Looking at other sealed and ob mid ideas, and have Scanspeak 9300 in Zaph waveguide to try with.
What are you guys doing? Anybody go vented or mltl (etc.) with theirs?
I'm satisfied, great deal. Happy the sealed/aperiodic with room lift came out so smooth. A little midbass peak on some songs, but took out bass traps last winter, need to put them back.
Don

(50) 12" custom Eminence woofers for sale

Last edited by nodiak; 7th February 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 9th February 2010, 03:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default my plans for this woofer...

I had first envisioned using these in a very small sealed enclosure with a LT or double integrator type circuit but have now changed my mind and am planning on putting these in a large vented box that will be the foundation of a 3-way speaker with an open baffle midrange. If I can get my act together, I will show off this system at the April meeting of the NorCal DIY Audio Group (ncdiyaudio.com). At this point, I haven't actually built anything since I am waiting until the weather improves a little...

-Charlie
Old 12th February 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Charlie,
I looked at the ncdiy website and the link to yours. Impressive designs, quality builds. Am interested in what you come up with using these. Maybe evolving your WAF-00 concept?
I just got a Class D Audio amp (the 250 x 2 @ 4 ohms kit). Almost done with the case. The kit is simple to put together, basically wiring. Will try to find the time soon to put it together, but will be working the weekend through Wed. next week.
Hoping the amp is a good match, will be nice to have some power Been using old, tired HK 430 lately. Should get stronger, deeper bass, and learn if I want to move to mltl or vented.
Don
Old 26th November 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Finished the classdaudio 250x4ohm amp. Works great with these speakers since the bass is best part of amps abilities imo. Still have the 12's in 3ft3 with aperiodic vent. Not much time to get into project but have frankensteined something with them. Was accumulating drivers for Zaph's tmm, need two more Seas CA18rnx for bottom woofers of the 2.5 system. Since they're here used these 12's as bottom woofers. They are a bit more efficient than the Seas 18rnx but sound pretty good, too thick in the bass-midbass of course. Just nice to have them in fullrange use.
Will try the 12's in other ideas, maybe an econowave or...
Unfortunately short of audio time recently.

Anyone developed a system with these 12's? (Have seen MJL21193's thread.)

Would be very interested/grateful if anyone has a frequency graph of these 12's.

Don

Hide this!Advertise here!