Inspired by Linkwitz: presentation of a dipole speaker system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2010, 08:49 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Two main changes between the sketch in my previous post and the failed prototype:

1) No more 5 degreas lean. The idea behind this change was to have a more uniform radiation pattern vertically to accomodate different listening distances. The 6.5" Seas was abandoned since it does not have any high frequency benefits compared to the W22. This TPL-150 and W22 pair was with us for a long time, almost to the end of the design process.

2) The sketch had both woofers forward firing. We turned une bass around for the prototype, but the frame was still an almost perfect U. I guess we never measured this bass config. The basses shown in the picture (Beyma 12G40 I think) are just place holders anyway.

The prototype failed mainly due to the deep U-baffle of the top section. Now I had an appearance design challenge on my hands...

Last edited by Valentino; 5th February 2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 5th February 2010, 08:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thats true, we never actually measured the woofers in the prototype H-frame. We did measure the tweeter and midrange... didnt look too good. Thats why we decided to make a flat midrange/tweeter baffle. I think the intial idea was to cut holes in the sides, but then we moved on to making a separate mid/tweeter baffle placed on top of the woofer H-frame, and just hide the mid/tweeter baffle under the cloth top-hat. That idea stayed on for a long time. Any corrections, Val?
Old 5th February 2010, 09:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

That's right. The double U-frame for the bass became more H-ish, and with that the inner side walls became too shallow for comfort. The speaker width had to increase 36mm to 376mm and the height increased 2 cm to 104 to accomodate the 8" mid.

I got some help from an architect to get the details just right on the exterior design. He called it a "deconstructed box": The cloth is set 12mm into the box and has seemingly grown though it. That frame on the top is a crutch I could not do without because of my unsureness of my sewing competence.

Still TPL-150 and W22 in a trapezoid baffle as drawings for the woofer H-baffle and sub boxes (336x336x600mm) went to the cabinet maker the last week of November '09.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

And then the watershed happened over at Stig Erik's:

Click the image to open in full size.

And then Stig Erik had me listen to a 5" Seas instead of the 8". I was still going to have a baffle for mids and highs, but two 5" in MTM with the TPL-150 became too tall for my maximum allowed loudspeaker height (Wife, view & all that), so there is a drawing with two 5" side by side somewhere in my vaults.

Then I persuaded Stig Erik to test the Mundorf 2340 instead of the Beyma. Success. And then we skipped the baffle all together. The TMM-arrangement came as an afterthought.

Last edited by Valentino; 8th February 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 15th February 2010, 05:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

A system flowchart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valentinos.JPG (57.4 KB, 1090 views)
Old 4th March 2010, 01:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

who is doing all the crossover and equalizing operations? the atom pc? is it really of interest
Old 4th March 2010, 07:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
who is doing all the crossover and equalizing operations? the atom pc? is it really of interest
Correct.
Old 24th March 2010, 05:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

An update on the tweeter and midrange arrangement.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Left: Suspended.
Right: I had to try to run the midranges in push-pull after persuading StigErik to do it first. There is a 40mm spacer between the units.
Old 24th March 2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Jonasz is online now Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So how do you like the sound from this setup?
Old 24th March 2010, 07:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I like it a lot. It has enough dynamic headroom for Mahler. It plays clean. It sounds tonally right also outside the sweet spot.

I also like having the opportunity to fiddle with anything but cables.

Last edited by Valentino; 24th March 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!