Super CHEAP diy 2 way loudspeaker --- !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Setting out to build some 2 way loudspeakers, VERY BUDGET and VERY LOUD.

Amp;
PylePRO P-3001-A $140
3000 Watts Total Output Power
4 Channels Total
2 x 800 Watts @ 2 Ohms
2 x 550 Watts @ 4 Ohms
2 x 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms

Woofers;
Bazooka ELW1214P
$39.99
12"
4ohm
50-300 Watts rms

Tweeters;
Haven't decided, help me!

Crossover;
Dayton 2 way $23
300 Watts rms

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Per Speaker
2 x Woofers
2 x Tweeters
2 x Crossovers

Subwoofers will be at 4ohms, 225 watts each (since amp produces 2 x 550 watts @ 4 ohms - then it will do 4 x 225 watts at 4 ohms). Amp will be able to power a set of speakers (4 subwoofers and 4 tweeters total).

Total Watts per Speaker
500 Watts RMS (+ whatever the tweeter puts out)

Cost per Speaker
Subwoofer $39.99 x 2 = $79.98
Crossover $23 x 2 = $46
Tweeter

TOTAL $125.98
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 340
If you want power handling, you should spend a little more money.There is something wrong : 1" dome + 12", possible but costly because the crossover should be enough good to protect the tweeter. The tweeter should be a horn compression.

I think you should take a look to PA speaker here

For example this one for 200$. You cannot do it for a lower price :)

That crossover (im getting it at parts express actually) is really good since it gives 4 ohms out to the subs and 8 ohms (like a regular tweeter). I have heard they can also support up to 500 watt sustained (though it "only" says 300 watts at the website).

That speaker IS really good, but it only does 200 watts rms as opposed to this one which would put out more than double that ... for a little less (maybe $20-30, but still!).

Ill look into a good, relatively cheap horn compression tweeter, if anyone has any in mind that would be great also!.

The bass speaker you have chosen has been spcifically designed to be a subwoofer it will have poor HF extension. It is only specified to 250 Hz. You will never get a tweeter that will work down to 250Hz.

It may be a bit better than this but without measurement equipment you can't know.

I'd recomend looking for a PA speaker or guitar speaker as they will have been designed to have some HF response usually to about 5KHz even if it does have a very poor off axis response.

Eminence or Celestion make some reasonable price options but I am sure there are many others so look for a cheap deal.

What do you want to do with it as you current specification will deafen you unless you are a long way away from it and outside or in a massive room!

Sound level goes up much quicker with sensitivity than it does with power so if you really want lots of SPL, look for the highest sensitivity speakers you can find. You should be able to find some at arround 95dB in 12 inch. This will require an amplifer half the size for the same SPL as a 92dB speaker.

Compression tweeters often work to greater than 100dB sensitivity so you shouldn't struggle with level if you use a compresion tweeter.

Regards,
Andrew

If you want a really loud simple to make system. 2 of these in a cabinet should do the Job they are between 95 and 100dB sensitivity and whilst I suspect they will be a bit bright on axis your amp has a treble control so you can turn them down a bit. They are 8ohm so if you really want to go for it you could use 4 per cabinet but clearly that would be much more expensive.

Parts-Express.com:Eminence Beta-12LTA 12" Full-Range/PA Driver | beta-12lta full range driver full range pa driver keyboard speaker 12" full range driver

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-409s.pdf

This way you need no crossover or tweeters so you can spend a bit more on the drivers and these drivers will deliver more SPL at their Max power of 225W than your much less sensitive sub speaker will at 300W.

Its also a really simple build and if you want to add xover and tweeters latter to improve sound quality you can.

There is a full data sheet with frequency response an T-S parameters so you can simulate the response in the box if you want to. You will not get as much low bass with a speaker like this but if your application is PA or Party you don't need much below 80Hz.

Regards,
Andrew

I built some party speakers just as fall was getting too cold to do anything outside. Finally gave 'em a good workout flogging a basement party 'till the cops showed. I was quite pleased with the result. The speakers are built off a 97 db 12" + compression driver and waveguide. I put 'em together for between $150 and $200 for the pair of 'em. They get down to the mid 40hz region.

Build thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/154305-xo-help-cheap-pa-drivers.html

Everyone has a different reference, but these seem real loud to me. Disco-club-loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.