Help for Transmission line: SPH-4TB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks
Is this driver suitable for TL design?:

SPH-4TB

Any ideas regarding design (size/stuffing) are appreciated, Thanks

I really have no idea what your design goals are! However, you can throw anything into a transmission line cabinet. The thing is, what are you trying to get?

I modeled that driver for you and got this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can't say this is the best you can get out of this combination. There are so may ways to do this that you could spend hours trying all kinds of permeations and still leave stones unturned.

Nevertheless, what I did was select a linear taper line 1.7 meters long with the speaker end having a throat area of 170 cm^2 and an exit of 200 cm^2. I moved the driver 40 cm away from the throat end as measured from the speaker's center. Note that the throat is the closed end of the transmission line cabinet. I also assumed that the driver and exit are close together, which implies a folded box. Folding will probably alter the model some, but I don't know to what extent.

I found that wool gave the best dampening. It was significant compared to the #2 stuffing, Acousta Stuff, in dampening the resonances in the pipe. Some experimentation should be required to dampen the 340 Hz bump a little more. I have no idea where you want to cross over this driver, but maybe you could use the crossover to tame that 340 Hz bump, too?

Anyway, a lot of further experimentation is required to dial this in, but this may be a good starting point for you.

Whoa, stumbled upon this while searching the net for any experiences with this (by now) not any more available drive unit (through Monacor) and it just surprises me to see so little gratitude for such an extensive and thorough answer!! What happened here? Laptop died on you matey??

Oh well, anyone know why they stopped distributing this drive unit after one season? I've just placed a pair of them in a tiny isobaric enclosure in my car, that became so small that it fitted in my dashboard and it sounds nothing short of amazing. Now I've got some people enthusiastic and have been looking at a replacement like the SPP110/4, but not so sure it will replace it all that well...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.