Proper wiring 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Proper wiring 101

I will start a documentation thread on the various methods of wiring and benefits / requirements.

The reason for starting this thread is as follows:

I certainly am NOT making fun of anyone, but this is NOT how to bi-wire...

B&W 805 Matrix speakers - eBay (item 220548821848 end time Feb-07-10 22:00:09 PST)

He is using the Kimber Kable as single "split" conductors.. Defeats the whole purpose of the braided geometry..

BTW, I used the same bi-wire Kimber 4TC and 805's for years. Best imaging and enjoyment I have had yet to date.
Old 1st February 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

bi-wire = buy wire
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't get me started Francec...I hope this thread about wiring methods includes some electrical measurements, preferably some wiring arrangements connected to a Network Analyzer, to show as some evidence...proof, that there is some sort of change in the electrical system.

I've tried various wiring methods over the years...have gone back to sqaure one because any difference made was so minute that I could not tell if there was one or my mind was playing tricks...Some minor change to the electronics, or speakers made a change I could hear, so ditch the stupid fancy cables and take whatever thick run of copper you have lying around, attach some banana plugs, and call it a day.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Bi-wiring - Some Results
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hehe, that extra 0.1 Ohm difference around the crossover frequency is going to be huge!

Or...as the article explains, about a 0.1dB change somewhere in the frequency response. That's pretty insignificant. When designing my speakers, I adjusted the entire tweeter frequency band by 0.3 Ohms to make a very small change to the sound. 0.1dB over a smaller band is going to sound a lot like nothing. Don't believe me, hook up a graphic EQ to your system, listen for a while, then breathe on one of the sliders.
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
I will start a documentation thread on the various methods of wiring and benefits / requirements.

The reason for starting this thread is as follows:

I certainly am NOT making fun of anyone, but this is NOT how to bi-wire...

B&W 805 Matrix speakers - eBay (item 220548821848 end time Feb-07-10 22:00:09 PST)

He is using the Kimber Kable as single "split" conductors.. Defeats the whole purpose of the braided geometry..

BTW, I used the same bi-wire Kimber 4TC and 805's for years. Best imaging and enjoyment I have had yet to date.
Do you want more capacitance between the conductors? I don't think you'll get it much lower than what the seller is doing. It's his money. If he wants to spend it that way, so what?

G
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
Do you want more capacitance between the conductors? I don't think you'll get it much lower than what the seller is doing. It's his money. If he wants to spend it that way, so what?

G

His property, he can do with it as he chooses. The reason I use that as an example is because I think the case is more ignorance than intent.

It is my OPINION that he wired them that way due to lack of knowledge. This thread was started to document the "industry standard" conventions of wiring.

I have spent several hours drawing in Visio to make diagrams and now seeing the comments made thus far I doubt if my efforts are worth it.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think that the thing to consider here is that the science is the fact, however, science is not perfect. I strongly believe that in time there will be new measurement instruments reading new indicators (was there always an Ohm?) that will be able to explain what a lot of people currently use words to describe. Science only needs to uncover these indicators.

Just because they haven't yet does not mean that we are to discount things that we see/feel/hear. If we discarded our senses, science would have never progressed beyond farming. And earthquakes/eclipses would happen because we didn't sacrifice enough on the solstice.... humans find ways to quantify things we don't understand. Then we find ways to measure it. Give it time and you will both be right.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:13 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Diversional & antagonistic posts removed

Biwiring (and cables) in general are controversial. Please stick to the purpose of the thread. People's experiences are just that (pro or con). References to scientific or quasi-scientific studies are fine, flippant comments are not (pro or con). If you want to be flippant go post in the cable's thread.

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call it PC police so much as it is stating that this hobby that we all share has a future.

Because there are so many people that believe there is more to science then we already know, we will ensure the progression of electronics as a science, and in effect change our current mindsets regarding the "mystical" realm of what our senses tell us.

Anyone that believes that humanity will never discover new methods to quantify what we perceive is, well, hard to put something here without it being taken out of context....

There is a reason that they produce new textbooks for school. If you pull out your books I'm POSITIVE that there are new theories in mine. Think about what my kids book will contain......

Hide this!Advertise here!