DIY Klipsch Crites-style Crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody done their own crossovers?

I just acquired some KG4s and I'm wondering about redoing the crossovers, but the Crites one is over $200. I paid $180 for the speakers. Looks pretty simple, but I'd need more help than this picture:

kg4xover-2.jpeg

New Crossovers | Critesspeakers.com

I'm just learning how to read schematics, and I'm doing this completely as a hobby. My work has nothing to do with audio or electronics. I just saw the picture of the Crites crossover and thought it would be easy to build and not involve lethal voltages, if anyone out there has a schematic. Just looking to get some feedback (in this thread, not in the speakers).

No schematics out there?
The schematics are on the Klipsch forums (do a search). Bob's rebuilds do NOT change the design and crossover settings. Any inductors or autoformers can be reused, along with the barrier strip.

My suggestion is to simply replace the caps with reasonably priced parts from Parts Express (eg. Solen or Dayton). If you want to get fancy, then bypass the caps (eg. parallel a second film/foil Dayton cap with about 1-10% the value of the main cap).

Unless you have measuring equipment and are comfortable with some basic theory, I would NOT recommend a redesign of the crossover circuit.

Last edited:
Don't bother paying Bob Crites for a few caps and solder. Just wank the cross overs out and replace the capacitors, like what WithTarragon suggested. A buddy paid Crites to get his done, he got ripped off. I tried to convince him to do it himself. But he was afraid I suppose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.