Want to build Large 3 Way - Suggestions for Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build large flor standing 3 way speaker systems. I want to model them around Legacy Audio Focus HD speakers.

Therefore would like to have 2 X 12" Woofers, 2 X Midrange and Dome+Ribbon Tweeter.

I would like the box to be ported.

My primary use would be music and then movies.

I have a twin 12" sub woofer system, which will pair with this for low frequencies.

Need suggestion from forum members for the woofers (money is not a big constraint) and the midranges.

Thanks.

Had a flick through the design and I think this would tick your boxes. I think you would find these to be insanely loud and insanely deep (unless your room happens to be 30m by 50m) Although, you said you want a ribbon tweeter, and that would be difficult to put into a proven design.

Looks pretty good and close to my requirements. Need to figure out if I can change to 12" drivers instead of 8".

Thanks.

You would need to recalculate the box sizes and ensure that the 12" woofers' frequency response was comparable (let alone compatible with the other drivers) I would recommend for you to go with a proven design, unmodified, as IMHO that will provide you with something that sounds good. If you feel up to designing an entire system yourself, go for it, but I think you'll find that if you're changing around drivers in these too much, it would be better to go from scratch. Speaker design is as much art as it is science, so they say. Just my two cents.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Basicly, one driver each passband give best result
Not the loudest, but best sound quality

With double 12" you might get in trouble with box volume
And it might be difficult to get the needed space fore multiple mids and tweeters
Tho not impossible, you need skills and experience
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-3-way-suggestions-drivers-2.html#post2069690

But you have subs, so why do think you need double 12" as well
I think a good PRO 10 would do fine
B&C SPEAKERS

With a big complicated design I would definitely consider active with digital DSP, tho it doesnt automatically work on its own
Its just as complicated as anything, but holds a lot more options
Ground Sound

Consider that many very skilled people have faced problems realising that their design didnt work as intended, and had to rely on their experience to make it work in a different way than the optimally intended, thus compromised
Its really very difficult
And its the art of staying clear of complicating, keeping it simple, KISS

Like say, the 4. driver, the ribbon you long fore, I would consider to mount it on back

Finding the right drivers for a Legacy clone will be a problem. The Auras used are OEM, I never heard about high sensitivity metal cones, not from Aura and not from anybody else. This usually is paper domain. 6.5" widerangers are also paper domain. Hard foam sandwich widerangers are a rare species. Focal are no longer available for DIYers. This could be an alternative, if cost doesn't play a role:
OlimpiaAudio_Zellaton16E
Using two tweeters with 2.8 kHz and 8 kHz crossover is unnecessary, there are many good ones that can handle this region alone, Mundorf or Beyma AMTs, Raal ribbons, Stage Accompany magnetostat.

I am planning to build large flor standing 3 way speaker systems. I want to model them around Legacy Audio Focus HD speakers.

Therefore would like to have 2 X 12" Woofers, 2 X Midrange and Dome+Ribbon Tweeter.

I would like the box to be ported.

My primary use would be music and then movies.

I have a twin 12" sub woofer system, which will pair with this for low frequencies.

Need suggestion from forum members for the woofers (money is not a big constraint) and the midranges.

Thanks.

I like the idea. Only according to my math this is a 4-way.

Also i would ditch the top midrange.

Also you can read my analysis of one very popular 4-way tower speaker:

http://www.diy-av.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=436

maybe it will give you some ideas.

Last edited:
I didn`t see anything regarding the budget. If not an issue ( I assume so ), I would go for a tower of 3 x 25W8565-00 sealed, a Supravox 215-2000 ( alnico ) you may also like the ECX version for better flexibility, its the same price, and an alnico tweeter, like the Seas exotic. Xover - all 1st order, woofers should start rollof at about 60Hz.

That should be my dream speaker :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.