Can someone tell me what freq. these crossovers are at?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

The JBL crossovers. I emailed them about the crossovers and here is what I was told.

On all 4 of the crossovers the chokes are not marked, however

The picture with the 2 x-overs have these parts

1 – 1.2ohm 5W & 37.5ohm 5W resistors 16uf 100Vnp & 20uf 100Vnp electolytics

and 2- 3uf 250V blue poly caps

Other rectangle crossover has the following;

1ea 7.5ohm 5W & 2.7ohm 10W Resistors,1 ea 7 uf 250V blue poly caps & 15uf 100V

electrolytic.

The 2 crescent shaped x-overs both have 6.8uf 100V caps and the larger one has a

3 ohm 7Watt resistor

All 4 have dual gold plated red/black push binding posts

Anyone have any ideas?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi, DJNUBZ
It's impossible to tell with only this info.
From or for which JBL-speakers or box are they?
Do you want to replace them?
Is it for JBL speakers? Home? Pro?
Can't you mail the guys and ask the frequencies curves?
Tell us some more.

/Hugo :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DJNUBZ said:

I have traced the circuit on these (3rd order with a zobel across the woof), but haven't had a chance to measure the inductors yet. Once i have i will post the schematic and we can start guessing the XO (which of course is very dependent on the drivers JBL was using) -- Steve will also get a copy -- least i can do for him tossing one in with my last order so i could look at it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It turns out that under each component, the nominal parts value is shown. I confirmed the inductor values and drew up a map.

The values do not correspond to text-book 3rd order filters so let the figuring begin.

dave

Attachments

• apexjr-jbl-2-wayxo.gif
    apexjr-jbl-2-wayxo.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 305
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well, without knowing the VC Re and inductance, it is impossible to calculate the effect of the RC network on the woofer part of the circuit, so that part will have to be redone unless you use exactly the same drivers in the same enclosure as the crossover was designed for.

As for the rest, it is a standard 3rd order layout, but as Dave suggests, the component values look a little strange. Your best bet is to get one of the PC based crossover sims and model it, to see what happens.

I called JBL and, according to the somewhat helpful contact, the xover is at 2000hz. The JBL price is listed at $53 per unit so at $2.50 these babies are a steal!!!

I recently installed this unit in a bookshelf system and they seam to work fine. There are pre-wired leads off the woofer side so hookup is a snap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.