Metronome style design for multiple drivers, a number of design questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning on a variation of the metronome design as bass reflex cabinets for multiple drivers. I chose this design for practical and aesthetic reasons. The footprint is reasonable and visual appeal fits the space. Other rectilinear shapes with similar box volume don't suit the placement well, and I reckon that the tapered shape will cut down on non-ideal rectangular height/width/depth proportional resonances from the cabinet.

I already have two sets of drivers and crossovers and have calculated box volume/dimensions for my available space. However for them to fit the space, there are a couple dimensional tweaks needed, and questions about the porting. I have a maximum height allowance of 55", and based strictly on the metronome proportions, a couple of these box volumes would be marginally too tall. (56" and 60")

One driver set are the tritrix: Tritrix_pg_1 . The recommended box volume for the ported design is 1180 in^3

The other box volume needed is 968 in^3 (This one is a sealed box, so the porting issues don't apply.)

So:

- Would changing the angles of the cabinets or width/depth/height proportions marginally to increase internal volume proportional to height create any concerns?

-The standard metronome design includes semi circular cutouts at the base so the port fires on the floor. Is it necessary for the port to fire down onto a surface, or can it fire into open space? If the former produces significantly better response, I will need to tweak the angles of proportions further to accomodate the extra few inches of height. (Note: The placement is a bit odd in that they will not be placed on the floor, but elevated 33" off the deck. The speaker placement issues in this room suck, and there is no way to place any speakers on the floor in this room at all. Mounting will be easiest if they are hung or set on a bracketed platform. If I can eliminate the extra height of the base/feet the port can still fire down, but into open space. If I should use a platform, I can just attach a plank across the feet. I could also potentially have the port firing forward.)

-These will each have a tweeter and two mid/bass drivers. One version has 5.25", the other 6.5" drivers. Any trade offs between MTM, TMM or having the second Mid/bass driver firing towards center? (In lieu of a full blown written answer here, I'd be happy if someone can point me to a thread where it has already been discussed. I searched a number of threads, but did not find this answer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.