my first DIY speaker build: "cheapowave" econowave implementation..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I've nicknamed it "cheapowave" as I started off trying to apply the ideas used in the Econowave project as documented on Audiokarma using a less expensive compression driver, the Pyle PDS221. But due to the Pyle being much quieter the Econowave HF rolloff techniques didn't work so well (after getting some excellent advice on the Audiokarma Econowave thread), so I purchased the Selenium D220ti drivers and implemented the normal "Econowave" crossover...
main.php

In a nutshell:
  • 120L bass reflex enclosure made from 18mm MDF with a 25mm mdf front baffle
  • Pioneer A30GC50-52F-Q-1 woofer (12" PA driver)
  • Selenium D220ti compression driver with Pyle PH612 horn
  • Clamped and glued with MDF glue, painted with 2 coats of pavement paint.
  • Lots of help from Col and through poring over the info on this site and Audiokarma econowave thread.. a massively useful set of resources for a newb like myself.

They sound great.. especially listening to dub techno!

Also this now means my whole signal chain, from Alien DAC -> p88b preamp -> Connex TDA8920 amp module -> speakers is DIY (prebuilt amp module still borderline I guess).. very satisfying working through each stage.

main.php

For more detail I have rambled on about the whole build process in some blog posts:
Stage One - building the cabinets and using the Pyle PDS221
Stage Two - getting the Selenium driver and implementing the Econowave crossover

Very nice, congratulations.

Can you make any comparisons with other speakers you've heard? Any complains about it?

I haven't recently listened to a huge variety of speakers so I don't have a large point of comparison. But they easily have the same or more detail than my Alesis Monitor One speakers, but with a much larger, more relaxed sound. There is a BIGNESS of sound without being boomy (even at low volumes), I guess due to the 12" driver and the dispersion of the horn. They don't have sub-bass (down to 50Hz) but the bass they have is very strong and even.

Wide sweetspot so they sound nice on the floor in front of the TV or back in the adjoining kitchen.

My only current complaint is they are too big to move around, I'd like to take them outside to do some measurements without the effects of the room.. I carried them inside alone when I first finished them and it nearly gave me a hernia.. to move them again I'll need a trolley.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.