3 way spatially aligned voice coils - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2010, 07:53 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

A lot of it depends of the construction of the cone. If the cone is pretty deep, the acoustic centre of the driver will be further forward. Most of the time, it's considered in the space between the voice coil and the dustcap.
Old 30th January 2010, 01:21 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot View Post
I thought it was where the voice coil attaches to the cone...?
Thats what I usually use, and it seems to be fairly close to the mark.
Old 1st February 2010, 07:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
er, a picture or diagram might help. Sounds interesting but I just can't quite picture this in my head.
Draw an equaliteral triangle 6" all3 sides. On 1 point scribe A3" radius circle. This is a 6" woofer. Next point scribe a 2" r circle. this is the mid. On the third point scribe a 1.75" r cercle. this is the tweeter. The size of the triangle will depend on the drivers diameter.Coils will all be equidistant. Cheers Leo
Old 1st February 2010, 12:57 PM   #14
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Unforetunatlly, the center of the voice coil is not the acoustic center of the driver. The only way I have found to reliably find the acoustic center offset is with a gizmo like my old AA pulser. It sends out a single half pulse at the center of the crossover. Looking at the output on a scope, you can measure the offset, or slide the drivers back and forth until you find the actual offset. You must use the target crossover, as you need to compensate for phase at the crossover frequency as well.
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

So, to do this physically,one must time align the coils first and use a slider system witch enables the listener to use a say, 3 meter piece of dowel gradually(or quickly) moving the driver until you hear something like Majic! Sort of like time alignment,bet now laterally?. Like it ! Leo
Old 16th November 2012, 10:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Leo I remember your Sax audio speakers
Old 17th November 2012, 02:15 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo vendramini View Post
Draw an equaliteral triangle 6" all3 sides. On 1 point scribe A3" radius circle. This is a 6" woofer. Next point scribe a 2" r circle. this is the mid. On the third point scribe a 1.75" r cercle. this is the tweeter. The size of the triangle will depend on the drivers diameter.Coils will all be equidistant. Cheers Leo
You say that the size of the triangle, presumably the equilateral triangle with side equal to 6", will depend on the "drivers diameter". You can't mean the diameter of all of the drivers, as each driver in your example has a different diameter. Do you mean the diameter of the woofer?

In building the speaker system, the equilateral triangle is drawn on the face of the baffle board is that correct?

At best this scheme can maybe maximize the extent to which the three acoustic outputs are in phase at any frequency and at any point in space.

Some constructive criticism: Sloppy typing doesn't make a good impression. Certainly you are not the only one posting at diyaudio not showing minimal care in communicating ideas here.

Regards,
Pete

Last edited by cT equals piD; 17th November 2012 at 02:18 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!