plastic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, I think you're gonna have to do some hard researching to find info on that, because I haven't run across any DIY stuff like that in my searches. Closest I've seen is the fibreglass cloth-over-cardboard horns.

I think the biggest challenge might very well be just the choice of resin and access you have to it. I would think that the polyester or epoxy resin you could buy in a hardware or marine or autobody store would have too little mass/density to make a floorstander that didn't buzz. If you're *dialed in* for a specialty resin, or a bookshelf speaker, it should be fine.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think it would work a lot better if the resin were "filled" with
sand , lead shot, marble chips etc. First you coat the mold with a layer of special resin only (gelcoat) then when that is set, add the filler and resin. A lot cheaper then all resin, and better damping.
Chopped glass or carbon fiber would make it stronger.

Polyester resin is much cheaper than epoxy. Also might release from the mold better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.