Ikea spherical speakers, first build done.

I thought I should post pictures of my first build.

Project was inspired by Cabasse and the curves employed in B&W 800 series, although on a much smaller budget. Had the idea to use bowls, Ikea had the wooden Blanda which seemed perfect. After scouring the net, found several others using these, although none using the 28cm versions. Design is an active 2 way design.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

First completed photo (no tweeter), initially using Zero class T amps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Current incarnation, using rotel 6 channel amp, channel for tweeter and mid, bridged for 15" sub, experimenting with solid oak sleeper stands and granite plinths.

Tweeters rather delicate positioning on top, seems to be fine without an enclosure, however I am experimenting with casting tapering tubes using champagne flutes.

The Sound: To my humble ears they sound rather good, haven't obtained a microphone to do testing. Definitely better than my Mission V63, which have an rrp of over £500. The 'no baffle' 15" add good low level sound reinforcement, as they don't go terrifically low or have very much bass

The drivers are Peerless M16GH (link below to drivers and excellent seller from eBay) Peerless & CO M16GH/4 Mid Woofers X 2 New/OldStock. on eBay (end time 25-Jan-10 10:15:24 GMT)

The tweeters are also Peerless metal domes, model unknown.

Currently crossed at 15" Sub 20-150Hz, Mid 50Hz-3Khz, tweeter 3Khz-20Khz

The sphere's come in at around 8L, (9.1L before cuts and driver displacement) One has eggfoam stuffing the other is naked will aquire some different materials for testing when I have a good mic.

They need another sand down, better integration with the stands and experiments with internal wadding, and the new tweeter housing, when time allows.

Last edited:
Build Process:

Last edited:
Build process drivers and testing:

Testing drivers using old Eltax crossover.

Sanding down, a pain staking process, still not 100%.

The weight of the driver meant the stand had to face the other way.

4mm Banana gold plated binding posts

Experiments using small aluminum Blanda bowls as omni directional tweeter.

Last edited:
Thanks.

human.bin, they were new drivers, I used an old Eltax Monitor 3 speakers crossover just to make sure the drivers actually worked.

I considered full range, but would have had to spent quite a bit more on drivers to get something capable of full frequency response.

For anyone interested the smaller 20cm bowl is 4.1L without any cutouts. vs 9.1L for the 28cm diameter version i used.

Could easily be suspended from the ceiling. I also thought about using a sonotube and a 10" woofer to fire up at the sphere for true omni directional bass.

At some point I plan to build a B&W 800D style 12" or 15" woofer cabinet for them to sit in, complete with granite plinth, (engineering granite tables can be had cheap on eBay), along with some Open Baffle speakers, and some horn loaded speakers and ...........

I also thought about using a sonotube and a 10" woofer to fire up at the sphere for true omni directional bass.

That would be cool. You could use extended bolts or something to put the sphere above the woofer. I always thought it would be cool looking though if somehow (maybe a driver with a large VC) you could fashion a phase plug that doubles as a suspension for a driver above it.