Ikea spherical speakers, first build done.

Elipson 4260 - French speaker with midrange mounted in a sphere....
Uses moderate amounts of absorption material to dampen rear cone energy before it is reflected back. Includes a rear resonant chamber to remove the 3D equal paths of a sphere.

B&W engineers added a rear tapered tube for further resonance reduction.

Attachments

• Elipson 4260.jpg
    Elipson 4260.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 404
Whatever one thinks of the golden ratio and offset driver placement, this isn't it.
I expected to see a ball in the middle. Tennis ball sized. Off center, but covering the center. Leaving no parallel surfaces.
I don't see any reason to from the traces, but still.. I would have to do it. It just feels right.

Late to the party on this thread but have posted on others relative to spheres. Did a build last year that was a 4-sphere design with Ikea bowls, 3-way with bottom sphere for a 6 1/2 sub. Most DIYers build a 1-sphere design but I am not a fan of full range even though xovers are avoided. The spheres were mounted on a center pole, which breaks up any standing waves, and I also used a 3-part damping system for the woofer and sub spheres. No ports. The mid and tweeter are sealed units. The mid face plate is bigger than I would like but the mid is a decent price point. For a sphere to actually resonate, it actually must pulse in and out as it is the strongest shape, and that is very difficult to have happen. Some have commented the driver distance from mid to tweeter looks to much, but when sitting back 10-15 feet, the drivers appear to blend nicely.

The Elipson is very cool but also very difficult for a DIYer to build. If A-Bed with same drivers and electronics vs. a more conventional spherical solution, that would be the real way to tell if it is really worth it.

Attachments

• O2 Finished 4-Sphere Speaker.JPG
    O2 Finished 4-Sphere Speaker.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 143