Interference, speakers --- > computer screen - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2003, 01:47 PM   #1
Flavius is offline Flavius  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Interference, speakers --- > computer screen

While listening at a decently high level, any power spike will be shown on my computer screen I see sort of "flashes" like in those psichedelic winamp spectrum displays.

I'm not sure what causes this though. It is either from the xover coils, or maybe the voice coils, or is the amp itself ? ( doubt that, amp sits on a side, while computer is in the center between the speakers and the screen distorsions are symetrical, like the magnet distorsions are too (they are not shielded - dont do as I am, placing 12" woofers 5 feet away from a screen)
Old 1st June 2003, 02:49 PM   #2
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
I have 6.5 inch woofers placed 18" from my screen, and I'm not having any distortion problems. I mean, what you described certainly sounds like the magnet pulling on your display, but at 5 feet? And with the spikes? I don't know...

Do you think it could be the power itself being sucked out of your circuit to feed the amp?

Dave
Old 1st June 2003, 03:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If your magnets are not shielded, I dont see how they dont affect your screen. I tried almost 7 feet, my speakers still affect the image - thats the most I can get them apart without serious moving. The trick is that not everything is affected. I only see this on certain backgrounds of a light color, to be specific, the light green-yellow background of the Microsoft Outlook Calendar.
They are sort of rainbow type of stripes but of course in 2 colors only, a stripe of the real color then a stripe of modified color and so on. Their patter isnt modified when I move away the speaker, but when i rotate it.

But this is no mistery. The mistery is with the spikes, they dont have nothing to do with this sort of passive alteration from the magnets. They are dynamic and related to the music.

I'm not sure if the amp sucks that much current. Its pluged to another mains than the computer. Its just a 2x30W amp and the volume is set to app. the middle of the run....
Old 1st June 2003, 03:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
How big is your amplifier? My larger amplifiers (anywhere from 350 watts a channel to 500-1400 bridged) can dim the lights in the house on large trasients. Have you tried plugging the amplifier into a different outlet? If the speakers are several feet away from the monitor it should be fine. Do you have access to a UPS? You could try plugging the Monitor into the UPS.

Scott
Old 1st June 2003, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned

I use a 20" CRT CAD screen with stripe mask. The amp is class a so current will not increase at peaks and take effect on the screen. My drivers are far enough away and magnetic shielded. At loud enough volume there happen visible effects on the monitor because the stripe mask starts to move around.
Old 1st June 2003, 04:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Kneadle, in case you dont have Outlook Express, here is a test for you. I discovered why this background is affected by the magnetic field; it is a very fine chess pattern, one pixel green one pixel yellow. The field does not affect continous colors.
Open the image in a window and move it all around the screen, this way you will see if stripes appear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (53.5 KB, 144 views)
Old 1st June 2003, 10:24 PM   #7
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Kneadle, in case you dont have Outlook Express, here is a test for you. I discovered why this background is affected by the magnetic field; it is a very fine chess pattern, one pixel green one pixel yellow. The field does not affect continous colors.
Open the image in a window and move it all around the screen, this way you will see if stripes appear.

Could you explain that again? I'm not sure I understand.

Dave
Old 1st June 2003, 11:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
I get stripes and I have no speakers (shielded or otherwise) within 6m of my monitor?!?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd June 2003, 12:25 AM   #9
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Lol, this is interesting. I had my speakers each about 6' away from the TV and running at 200w they'll make the picture wobble a lot.
Old 2nd June 2003, 06:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse, ) not the two black horizontal lines. Those are from the picture

Kneadle:

Perhaps this might help. An old photo from where I managed to cut a piece showing the magnet interference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stripes.jpg (14.9 KB, 87 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!