Large 3-ways design / build - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Will MJL21193's crazy design work as proposed?
Yes 57 51.35%
No 7 6.31%
Maybe. 34 30.63%
I'll laugh when it doesn't. 13 11.71%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2010, 06:07 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

John, are you still looking for mids? I thought you'd settled on some Vifa thingy?

I agree with Cal's comment many posts back that high output is going to be limited by most domes.
Old 26th January 2010, 09:07 PM   #102
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
Possible candidates ...
can you source Eminence in the great white north?
I'm liking the Alpha 6A or 8A. I think it will be one or the other.
Yes, I can get Eminence here no problem. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Perhaps it is because most people have never worked with foam-core panels before, just ask them to jump on a pair of slalom skis or one of the new short surf boards, you can use this construction to do almost anything you want, from ultra stiff and springy, really dead to flexible and lively
Yes, lack of understanding seems to be the problem. This panel design is very stiff on it's own due to it's shape but the addition of the foam has really driven the strength up - it's hard for those with limited vision (you know who you are...) to grasp the concepts covered here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
John, are you still looking for mids? I thought you'd settled on some Vifa thingy?

I agree with Cal's comment many posts back that high output is going to be limited by most domes.
Always looking- nothing is written in stone except for the woofer which I already have. On that note...
In the interest of doing something a bit different, I have been thinking about maybe using a compression driver and creating an elliptical horn flare that would be integrated into the front baffle. Something like 90 degrees horizontal, 40 degrees vertical but like I said, elliptical not rectangular.
How does the B&C DE10 look? It is their lowest priced but I won't hold that against it. Remember, these are "hifi" speakers and not a part of Cal's block party Wall of Sound.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:26 PM   #103
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
In the interest of doing something a bit different, I have been thinking about maybe using a compression driver and creating an elliptical horn flare that would be integrated into the front baffle. Something like 90 degrees horizontal, 40 degrees vertical but like I said, elliptical not rectangular.
How does the B&C DE10 look? It is their lowest priced but I won't hold that against it. Remember, these are "hifi" speakers and not a part of Cal's block party Wall of Sound.
Now you are going the right direction. If'n it were me I'd steal some ideas from the 18Sounds kit 8" 2 way with 80x60 horn but minus the baffle step. Using it more or less for the top end of a 3way. This horn has some discontinuity issues and is somewhat costly compared to some other cheaper CD horns ie JBL, Pyle and QSC variations ala Econowave designs.
I don't think you'll need too much BSC at all, re> indoors with all the woofers you have. Check the madisound website for Zaphs 12" 3 way kit for a discussion on BSC with a smaller kit than yours 3ways. EDIT> BTW I think you could do better than Zaphs 3way it has some real whoopt-de-doos in the on axis response as he briefly states, then ignores how bad they really are.

Last edited by infinia; 26th January 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 27th January 2010, 07:36 AM   #104
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those panels are cute! Very sharp execution of I-beam principle. Over kill, of course
Old 27th January 2010, 09:38 AM   #105
SaSi is offline SaSi  Greece
diyAudio Member

I think this is an exceptionally good idea regarding a lightweight and stiff panel. There is certainly a possibility of failure from "unfortunate" execution so the mock-up approach and experiments are a good practice.

I am wondering if you plan to employ bracing inside the enclosure. The curved panels will make cutting and fitting the braces more complex.

Another issue that I was thinking regarding panel construction is how to make them identically symetrical. i.e. the curvature at the inner and outer face being the same. This curvature has to do with the method of glueing the faces together and how you apply pressure to the panels. If they are not made identical then fitting the side panels together to form an enclosure might be a bitch.
Old 27th January 2010, 05:20 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Isn't foam cored aluminium what aeroplane wings are made of?

If it works for them it should work for you John Stiff, light and strong.
Old 27th January 2010, 05:26 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm liking the Alpha 6A or 8A. I think it will be one or the other.
Yes, I can get Eminence here no problem. Thanks
I think you can do much better than either of them.
Quote:
Always looking- nothing is written in stone except for the woofer which I already have. On that note...
I have no idea on where you're thinking of xover points, or budget, so not quite sure what to suggest.

Quote:
You're going to have to engineer that yourself and it's going to need CNC most likely to get the shape correct. It will be interesting to see.
Quote:
How does the B&C DE10 look? It is their lowest priced but I won't hold that against it.
Where do you plan on x-ing it? Lower than 2k, depending on flare loading looks like a no-no. DS250 is excellent but 2x the price. Lots of other good CD's out there too.
Quote:
Remember, these are "hifi" speakers and not a part of Cal's block party Wall of Sound.
As are mine, but Cal's are still small. My sides/rears are about that big, and the mains larger.
Old 27th January 2010, 07:35 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You have no faith my friend.

Curving the panel massively increases strength - the way these panels are designed and joined together leaves only one "weak" point: the vertical centre axis of the tallest panels may flex slightly. To help combat this I will use steel flat bar for the divider shown circled here:

Attachment 154639

Up the side panels and the bottom and top panels will have 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat bar and the back will have 1/4" x 1".
I like where youre going with the panels....foam would be tempting but i have heard what a drum like sound boat hulls make, however rigid they may be.

Had you considered fiulling cavity with polyester resin mixed with the hollow glass spheres that GRP fabs use to lighten some structures? I wouldve thought that would be mega stiff and light, though not as light as foam, and may well be miles better.

just an idea, otherwise, loving the concept.
Old 27th January 2010, 09:19 PM   #109
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I have been thinking about maybe using a compression driver and creating an elliptical horn flare that would be integrated into the front baffle.
Old 27th January 2010, 09:21 PM   #110
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Cal's block party Wall of Sound.
You called?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3681.jpg (263.3 KB, 380 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!