Large 3-ways design / build

Will MJL21193's crazy design work as proposed?

• Yes

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'll laugh when it doesn't.:devily:

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ok, been busy with other pursuits lately but I'm back on the case.
Enough of the measuring sidewall resonance - my point is proven: the panels are much stiffer using this construction method.
Some issues:
I don't like the midrange box, the fact that it is metal bothers me. I've decided to replace it with a particle board box, the bottom of which will form another lateral brace that extends to the back panel.
I'm also seriously considering the ribs on the outside. I have been obsessed with this idea ever since mentioning it (in a somewhat humourous context). This is purely aesthetics though and much needs to be done before I can even consider doing it.

I have long wanted to try a "box in box" design
Which means that "inner box" and "outer box" would be totally seperated from each other with acoustic material
You may call it "floating"
Sorry to go off topic but i have done this previously. It's impossible to totally (ok maybe not quite) seperate the inner from the outer enclosure, however if you only connect them at the edges & corners you can fill the gap with dry sand. If you brace the internal box you'll force the inner enclosure panels resonant frequency right into the midrange. The sand will then kill off any midrange attempting to get through to the outer panel. You have a great enclosure all of a sudden. Wharfedale did something similar with the SFB (sand filled baffle).
So, what's been going on lately?
:Piano: :drink: :cheerful:

Possibly :D

Come on John, we are dying for an update here chap..

Mark.

I've been swamped and no time to breath even.

John, you are not a good boy. Get in line with the rest of the world and complain of the un-employment rate.

BTW, I got a reality check this week. I connected my Genelec monitors and lo and behold, wife and children sat down and listened for 45 minutes!
Could have been the remastered Led Zeppelin CD, or my so called "horns" were out of the picture.

Anyway, get you some time to breathe now and then. Have heard that it is not so good to stop inhaling/exhaling. Whatever your interpretaion:innocent:

Cheers,
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.