Large 3-ways design / build

Will MJL21193's crazy design work as proposed?

• Yes

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I'll laugh when it doesn't.:devily:

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you consider the mass of the cone as opposed to the mass of the frame/magnet/structure of the driver you can see that one massively outweighs the other, therefore inertia is on the motors side.
Liken it to a gunshot, by preventing the rifles recoil will the bullet travel further and faster? If so, by how much.
These things can be investigated and quantified but the focus now is the amount of energy that is being transfered to the box from the driver and how to reduce that.

As a competitive shooter I can ay that the ball or bullet will travel more accurately and will travel further (albeit an insignificant amount).

I am inclined to say that floating the driver will have some impact, but as you stated, the mass ratio between the sprung and unsprung mass is probably too large to make a negative contribution.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I am inclined to say that floating the driver will have some impact, but as you stated, the mass ratio between the sprung and unsprung mass is probably too large to make a negative contribution.

What I'm trying to do has been recommended by Sigfried Linkwitz - apparently he knows a thing or two about loudspeaker design :D. I'm just going about it in a different way.
Anyway, the test will tell the tale tomorrow evening. Could be that it makes no difference whatsoever, or makes matter worse. We Will see.

mdf baffle and something like an old fashioned Christmas tree holder with the driver backing plate and magnet as the tree and a crab-like legs out to side walls and braces with rubber or neoprene bushings on all the mounts.

...and Christmas was just a little while ago. I bet there was lots of material around then.:snowman:

Where do you get 1" aluminum and how much is it? :eek:
Aluminum is relatively easy to work with normal tools - it's just that it 10 times more hazardous when something goes wrong. Extra care needs to be taken when cutting or routing it.

I have my own machine shop and turn a lot of prototypes in my garage with 6061. 1" aluminum is not something you are going to do much with using "normal" tools if "normal" means jigsaws, hand drills, and routers.

You need a large milling machine, preferably one that is CNC controlled to mill out the baffle openings for ports and speakers.

no need to apologize to me. You might want to think twice about assuming that American's don't know what living conditions are like in Canada. Unfortunately, ignorance has no borders.

Also, you might have noted that IMS is in Michigan which If you live near the Windsor or Sarnia,isn't that far away.

(the ignorance comment was not directed at you, I was speaking generally)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ok, long day at the quarry and I'm bushed - no testing this evening.

The silicone is fully cured though and looks strong. If I get home early enough tomorrow (doubtful :( ) then I'll have at it.
I ordered a new accelerometer from Digikey - surface mount device that I will need to wire up, put in a case and connect to mic preamp (it uses phantom power - FET buffer, I guess). Maybe a reality check for my home-made jobbie.

We don't actually live in igloos and drive dog sleds
this Canadian dealer is more expensive than I imagined, metalsupermarkets

In that case, can i have your snowshoes and trapping gear ?
We've had two months of continuous snow here this season, common is a week at the most, i keep falling down on my regular woody shoes and i could use a fur coat.

Your link gives $181 for an 80''x40''x0.125'' aluminum plate, ~$4.65/lbs.
Similar to what an aluminum window frame manufacturer that sells plate as a sideshow charges me.
If i want cheaper i need to order wholesale on a company account, boils down to a little over $3/lbs.
Regular metalshops that sell to private individuals easily charge $10/lbs and up.

In that case, can i have your snowshoes and trapping gear ?
We've had two months of continuous snow here this season, common is a week at the most, i keep falling down on my regular woody shoes and i could use a fur coat.

lol... We've had a very easy winter this season. Certainly nothing worth complaining about.

Your link gives $181 for an 80''x40''x0.125'' aluminum plate, ~$4.65/lbs.
Similar to what an aluminum window frame manufacturer that sells plate as a sideshow charges me.
If i want cheaper i need to order wholesale on a company account, boils down to a little over $3/lbs.
Regular metalshops that sell to private individuals easily charge $10/lbs and up.

There were countless options on that site I linked to. Several different grades and many different sizes/thicknesses. I honestly have no clue what would be appropriate for what John's trying to accomplish though. Let alone what would be considered a good price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.