0.50 ft3 Cabinet bracing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2010, 04:09 PM   #1
DIFORCE is offline DIFORCE  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 0.50 ft3 Cabinet bracing

Hi , Im building the er18dxt project in your typical 0.50 ft3 ( 14.3~ litres ) box.
Now im a huge perfectionest so I want to brace the box in the best mathematically possible way.

Now I was searching first like a good forum dweller and came up with this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The baffle is the panel that needs the most bracing since you have cut big holes in it...

Attached is a picture from an AES paper... higher numbers are better

dave
Thing is I cant brace the baffle to the rear directly because the port gets in my way.

So I came up with this method , Is this any good ? What would you change ? Also is it possible to brace the baffle ? Like I said that area bwtween the tweeter and the woofer cant be directly braced to the rear because of the port . So what do you think ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th January 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Move the port?

Or shape the brace to the baffle to accomodate the port.

The brace to the back would be more effective than the single pole.

Make sure none of the braces straddle a centre line.

dave
Old 17th January 2010, 03:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have been thinking about this a bit today. Well it is my own project not yours but I am very strongly thinking of building the er18dxt as well so I guess this counts

I am putting together some mini monitor cabinets. I am "relocating" some drivers that currently reside in some 3/8 particle board cabinets. Needless to say mine will be a bit more rigid... However, in an effort to keep the cabinets small I don't want to add too many braces that will take up too much volume. I will have a couple regardless.

What I was thinking about was building a ladder type structure on the side walls. A drawing would make this easier to understand. The idea is to attach to the walls some 3/4 x 3/4 ply in lengths and a few to span the space between them. Think of the letter H with a few more sections. This would add a lot of stiffness (The ply is turned on edge and is much stiffer this way.) divide the panel in many more sections (raise the resonance up even higher) and not take up nearly the cabinet volume.

Ok now tell me that everyone has already done this once
Old 17th January 2010, 07:09 AM   #4
DIFORCE is offline DIFORCE  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. Thing is i really dont think i can move the port. Its rather large and the internal diminsions are small , i cant move it to the bottom cause the inside would be really close to the woofer magnet , i dont thinj thats good. Anyway does bracing the baffle really is the best way ? A dont see many people doing it ...

Hide this!Advertise here!