Symmetrical crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Coucou,c'est Moi...

Hi,

Some crazy beer drinking Belgian.

A Belgian that doesn't drink beer is like a Frenchmen not drinking wine.;)

Now regarding putting your x-over components in either + or - side of the speakers....that's really been awhile ago.
While I do recall having posted something along these lines, I can't quite recall in what particular context.

It has been done before by some more esoteric LS manufacturers, can't quite remember why though. (Beer does that to me.;) )

Now as far as the symmetric x-over arrangement is concerned, yes, it's a very good idea if it weren't for the extra cost.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but there's no symmetry in a RLC filter

You're absolutely correct of course.

Cheers,;)

What does "components placed of the neutral line" mean?
We are steaming ahead and entering crockland . This is not rf, and even if it was, the most important element IMO would be the homogeneity of the transducer coil and the standing wave behavior. The rf engineers may want to step in here and lecture me on the subject which I am really curious about.
If you are so worried about symmetry use a balanced output amp.

Bricolo said:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but there's no symmetry in a RLC filter
you can put them in any order, it still works the same
RLC=RCL=CLR=CRL=LRC=LCR

You said it yourself, symmetry or not symmetry it's exactly the same.
By your rationale you could cancel out whatever effect of the notch asymmetry by having two parallel notches RLC and CLR of appropriate value ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What does "components placed of the neutral line" mean?

Instead of wiring series components on the + side you wire them on the minus.

Send and return if you like.

Personally, I've never tried this out, but assuming you have correct polarity on all you records ( I wish you luck) , I assume it's worth a try to move the filter components to the return lead.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.