ESL question ( not a troll )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Borat,
I simpy believe that you are asking the wrong question. It is like asking "Why doesn't Porsche sell more cars?" Most answers to this will be almost useless. You need to split the question into either "Why don't people buy more sports cars" or "Why doesn't Porsche have a wider share in the sports car market?" to get some useful response.

It can't have escaped your attention that dynamic dipoles have an even less market share than planar dipoles. This indicates that the problem is not technology in the first place, but radiation pattern (and the problems involved - mainly in-room-setup).
If you want to increase the market share of ESL, don't try to make better ones, but include a free comprehensive interior design service into every purchase. ;)

i understand that part.

what reasoning do you use to convince yourself that they wouldn't work in your room ? could you expand on that ?

Didn't answer this question. To tell the truth I think it's more that they have a bad reputation for being really room dependent. But I have never seen extensive measurements so it's more of a prejudice on my part. Linkwitz has sort of anecdotally proven that it's not so much the dipolar pattern that makes it room dependent but it's more the flowering and misbehavior of the off axis response that causes the room issues. I don't have a symmetrical layout in regards to the walls and reflections and as far as I can tell it would not be possible in this house without having to deal with a much worse problem - first reflections off of windows or glass instead of the layered hollow walls that I am using.

And there is another thing I have just noticed from a distance reading reviews from others. It seems like a lot of people with planars start noticing a lot of minuscule artifacts and defects in the sound-field. This could be partly the speakers but most of the time the people that seem to most sensitive to these things are in heavily treated rooms. It is known and proven that certain artifacts like transient distortions and phase response can be heard in anechoic conditions. I saw someone claiming that THD somehow becomes audible in anechoic conditions as well which is consistent with the reviews I have noticed. And I guess to me I have no wish to put myself in the Uncanny Valley where you seem to gain this performance but subjectively you are now distracted by insignificant blemishes.

While I have nothing against the way they sound, the problems are:

1) They are expensive
2) The lack MAX power output
3) They are big
4) They lack bass

other than that they sound great. Oh did I mention they are expensive, and in general not very reliable.

Well, let me disagree. I own Martin Logan Aerius, which are for sale BTW (PM if you are interested and live in the New England area).

1. They are not expensive, although there are more expensive versions (true with any family of speaker design)
2. They can get plenty loud. Output is more than adequate.
3. Mine are only 11 in wide and 56 in tall. That is not all that big.
4. Many panel speakers are a hybrid design, where the bass is handled in a portion of the cabinet at the bottom with a direct radiator. This is not unlike your own design, where you recommend augmenting the cabinets with multiple subwoofers.
5*. Mine were made in 1994 and have had no problems

For various reasons, I am upgrading and that is why these are for sale. However, what needs reminding is that there is a clarity in the mids and highs that is absolutely stunning. I think for some (depending on their priorities) these kind of speakers are fantastic and at an affordable price.

-A different view of things.

Just MY Opinion!

I have owned ML Aerius i's, Acoustat 2+2's, and 6 Acoustat panels per side driven by Acoustat X amps that are direct drive tube amps - no step up transformers. I've also had Apogee Duetta II Signatures and Magnepans just FYI and a reference point. I've heard many ML Speakers properly set up and driven in dealer's showrooms. Although the best (more expensive) ML's have incredible sound, the lower priced ones suffer from small but significant flaws. This could be said of any drivers, dynamic, planar magnetic, or ESL's. They all have characteristics of their own. I also think more money has poured in to the R & D of dynamic drivers than other designs.

1. Slight lack of true dynamic rendition of things like rimshots, bass drum hits, and the lowest bass in full range ESL's. Something missing in the gut.

2. Small lack of cohesive crossover between the woofer and panels.

3. A larger than life imaging that makes a sax or trumpet seem like 6 feet by 6 feet. Trying to get ESL's large enough to render good dynamics and bass means they need a larger room, which means one needs larger panels to render good bass and dynamics, which means one needs a larger room... and bigger amps...

4. They are demanding of power amplifiers. Wide variations in impedance that place a big need for beefy CLEAN amps. The Aerius i's have a dip to 1.7 ohms in the high end IIRC. CLS's went to 1 ohm or less. This gets to be even more of a problem if one prefers tube amps.

Again, I have heard some of the most accurate, head turning sound from ESL's but usually from the high priced - mega amped models in large rooms.

Just for reference I have settled on homebrew speakers made from Klipsch RF-7 woofers and Heil AMT tweeters. They beat any of the previously mentioned speakers that I've owned, and 16 watts will break a lease. Dynamic speakers just seem to be a better value than equally priced ESL's. If money were not an object I just might have the best ML's, or the top Maggies.
Very well put ...

i understand the sweet spot comment. but what do you mean by no impact ? can't they go loud enough with enough power and high enough crossover point to the woofer ?

The problem is not the volume , it's the lack of energy. Most ESl lack energy ,
percussive energy ...

Thank You a.wayne. Someone is understanding what I meant.
And don't get me wrong, I owned the Aerius i. With a close miked jazz sax, driven by an amp that can deliver into low ohms, in a 12 x 12 room, they sound awesome! My buddy bought a pair after hearing mine and has stayed with them for 10 years. And he could afford speakers many times their price.
I've heard the Statement 2's set up at a dealer and swore I was listening to live music. And I'm a musician with classical training and good ears.
As mentioned before, the differences are subtle, and we are discussing some of the best speakers on the market, not WalMart specials.
Do the excursion calculations mentioned before and you will understand that we are pushing the limits of the laws of physics.

Borat,
It can't have escaped your attention that dynamic dipoles have an even less market share than planar dipoles. This indicates that the problem is not technology in the first place, but radiation pattern (and the problems involved - mainly in-room-setup).

I've built dynamic dipoles (Linkwitz Orion) and they're less sensitive to placement than conventional box speakers especially with respect to the side walls and objects between them (off-axis attenuation is 20 log cosine alpha). The effects of getting them too close to front wall are different.

Planar speakers are different in that they degenerate into multiple lobes at high frequencies with the frequency response of reflections somewhat hit or miss.

Dynamic dipoles aren't more popular because they're expensive. Stand-mounted monitor bass extension/levels take a 3-way. With a 15" deep speaker taking twice the displacement of a conventional speaker to reach the same SPL at 80Hz and four times at 40Hz they're not an inexpensive way to get low bass. You also need at least line level equalization in order to have both good high frequency sensitivity and low bass extension which doesn't play nice with consumers using typical receivers.

Right, Drew. I agree 100%.
My speakers are bi-polar, a driver on the front and rear driven in phase, and they are easier to merge with the room than any dipole I've had. Try to market these with your better half wanting to push them right up against the wall, and Sales says "no way" to these designs.

I've built dynamic dipoles (Linkwitz Orion) and they're less sensitive to placement than conventional box speakers especially with respect to the side walls and objects between them (off-axis attenuation is 20 log cosine alpha).
This - and your following statements - are true indeed.

But ...
The effects of getting them too close to front wall are different.
... this is crucial IMHO!
Every now and then somebody asks for my opinion WRT dipoles. Almost half of the questions are about the minimum distance to the front wall and how to possibly reduce that to zero. SWMBO doesn't allow for speakers pulled 1 meter into the room, period.
That's why I didn't recommend an acoustic consultant, but an interior designer. ;)
Planar speakers are different in that they degenerate into multiple lobes at high frequencies with the frequency response of reflections somewhat hit or miss.
There are planars which narrow the radiating area with increasing frequency - like these CAPACITIs. I found them to image exceptionally well.

Right, Drew. I agree 100%.
My speakers are bi-polar, a driver on the front and rear driven in phase, and they are easier to merge with the room than any dipole I've had. Try to market these with your better half wanting to push them right up against the wall, and Sales says "no way" to these designs.

Dynamic dipole (drivers move the same direction, out of phase) != bipole (drivers move opposite direction, out of phase). They're more directive, easier to place because of that, don't benefit or suffer from room gain, and couple less to height and width room modes.

Some electrostatic loudspeakers are simply poorly designed. That applies to most homemade loudspeakers and to some commercial designs.

In 1980, Peter Walker showed in an article that a flat electrostatic dipole loudspeaker intended for far-field listening must have a frequency-independent current drive rather than a frequency-independent voltage drive. (This applies to loudspeakers intended as point sources, line sources must have a +10 dB/decade slope in the current, or -10 dB/decade for the voltage.)

Still, many designs have a frequency-independent voltage at the stators. This results in a lack of bass that is often compensated by applying no damping of the fundamental resonance of the diaphragm. The excessive far-field treble is compensated by using a too large area for radiating the treble. When the area is too large, you are not in the far field at any practical listening distance. Interference between sound radiated from different parts of the diaphragm then cancels the +20 dB/decade slope, but with many peaks and troughs.

Partial membrane resonances are another thing that can affect the sound. These can be damped effectively with a cloth that is very close to the diaphragm.

My colleague Frank Verwaal (who built his own electrostatic loudspeakers and then sold them because they hardly fit in his living room) has a web site on this subject. See Homepage van Frank Verwaal: Elektrostatische Luidsprekers for a more complete explanation.

Anyway, I own a pair of second-hand Quad ESL-63 loudspeakers (designed by Peter Walker) and I am very satisfied with them. Over the last ten years, I haven't had any technical problems, except when a cat urinated against one loudspeaker. Normally the dust protection membrane should protect the loudspeakers against moisture, but there was a small hole in this membrane.

I never drive the loudspeakers anywhere near their maximum output. The neighbours would start complaining long before.

I already have.

Do the excursion calculations mentioned before and you will understand that we are pushing the limits of the laws of physics.

This is the physics of the problem regarless of crossover frequency.

Dynamic drivers can displace more air due to physical limitations of ESL's regardless of frequency.

and how do they do that ? how do they narrow the radiating area ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know enough about it to explain in detail. Shown is the segmentation PCB. SPL is controlled by feeding different stator segments through appropriate resistors. The wider areas are lowpassed by the higher inductance of their length of stator wires AFAIK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.