"Best" Woofer 50Hz - 300Hz & Hi eff, maybe 15" ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opinions please:

Regardless of box size, flatness of response counts, tonal quality counts, high sensitivity counts.

The goal is to be VERY FLAT and 99db/1w/1m - but I'll take tone, fidelity and flat response with a lower sensitivity and use a more powerful amp, assuming the driver takes power...

Looking to fill between a sub system that actually covers from 65Hz down up to a horn that actually covers from 250Hz up - so the required passband is ~65Hz to ~300Hz. Don't worry about the xovers needed or the cabinet size or type! I'll handle that part. Mention it though.

I'm interested in absolutely wonderful upper bass reproduction.
Obviously a 15" is a likely candidate, although the old TAD 1201 was not a 15" it has some extraordinary characteristics (not sure if it covered low enough...).

There are a ton of Eminence drivers, but who's got the ability to audition them all , or even find response curves??

Oh yeah, out of band peaks are a sure no go... no notch filters thanks.

I guess the idea is "fidelity" in that range - naturalness and not much stuff that going to be bothersome.

Keep in mind that the horns that they are mated with are pretty darn fantastic in all regards and extremely good. So, getting the upper bass right is critical.

I'm kinda interested in "the best thing I ever heard" - not just the usual suspects. Something that is so good that you wanted to own one, or go out and build one and you've heard a lot of really great systems, but this was just better.

I'll even consider an array of smaller drivers... equal opportunity driver user! :bulb:

Opinions and input appreciated.

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

The best 15" I've heard is the Lambda TD15M. No, I've not really heard many 15" drivers, but it's very good, distinctly better than the older Eminence 15" drivers I've also heard. Certainly worth your consideration... (The version I own is the original, made by Nick at Lambda. Don't know how well the linked versions match those, but they certainly look credible, and worth investigation...)

Larry Van Wormer

400 EXC SUPRAVOX

Low mass, compliant suspension, adjustable motor strength for the particular enclosure, good eff., low fs., nothing that needs a notch filter.

Not cheap, and non-linear distortion won't be good (though fs is still quite away from your lower cut-off, and your higher freq. cut-off is well away from inductance issues).

Audio Asylum Thread Printer (though dipole use respondent.)

Last edited:
The Fane 15" XB is reputed to have a smooth and musical tone when compared to other drivers with a more robust cones and higher BL numbers (that are more suited to horn loading.)
Build quality is good, Efficiency is 99db/W, They easily handle their 600w RMS -800w AES rating.:cool:

I'd think for the range you are after, the Lambda (AE) TD15X would be better than the TD15M. The prior is a midbass, the later a midrange. TD15X doesn't have surround resonance until 500hz and it can do 50hz more readily than the TD15M without having to go to lengths with reflex loading and keeping the port velocity down. But it doesn't have 99db sensitivity, its more like 95db/w. The TD15M is ~98db/w iirc, but it has less xmax. I'd think its range is more suited for 80-1khz. Lower would work, but with less power and having to go ported.

Brandon (don't remember his moniker on here) has a driver vault website that measures quite a number of top hi-eff drivers, including the aforementioned. The Lambdas hold their own.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my OBs. I need high efficiency midbass fill and I want extreme tightness and tone. The only thing I could find that is over 100db in the midbass were a few 15" guitar speakers. I ordered the Jensen c15k to try. Meant for open back cabs, it should be just the ticket. If I'm completely wrong, I'm out $240. But that's not too bad to find out.

You may have to use 2 of something or stick something inside a big@ss horn to do 100db at 50hz.

2x TD15s in 355l sealed 96db 1w/1m 101db 2.83v/1m f3 44.6 hz assuming 2pi space.

1x TD15m in 157l vented 97.64db 1w/1m 98.48db 2.83v/1m f3 42.59 hz assuming 2pi space

2x TD15m in 314l vented 100.65db 1w/1m 104.5db 2.83v/1m f3 42.59 hz assuming 2pi space

I would email or call John J at AE Speakers if you end up getting interested to find out what the lead times are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.