"BEST" Woofer 50Hz - 300Hz & Hi eff, maybe 15" ?? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2010, 04:37 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Please remember that you won't find any 15" woofer that's 99 dB below baffle-step
Which is why I put a caveat with my suggestions regarding 2pi space or using a horn. I second the GPA/ALTEC recommendations as long as box size is not a problem.

A 50hz bass horn would be really big though.

Easier to just buy a La Scala...
Old 8th January 2010, 04:38 PM   #22
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Here is an Altec 416 drop-in replacement:
OlimpiaAudio_ClevelandW416
The neo version seems good for the OB solution, but I donīt trust their claimed sensitivity, probably nonsense.
Old 8th January 2010, 05:28 PM   #23
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

FaitalPRO - Neodymium Professional Drivers

This 99db short Xmax 15" might be interesting
And relatively cheap
Lowish Fs and highish Qts means it gets down there
Closed box calc says 98db at 100hz
If you calculate a -6db at Xover point it should get down there
As StigErik suggests, TWO 15" would be....
But how to get the sub up at SPL ?
Old 8th January 2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Banned

Do it right and forget about. A proper sized 50 Hz bass horn will walk all over a single 15 direct radiator. A single 15 is a toy when used with a mid horn that works down to 250 Hz. Mixing direct radiator bass with horn mid is a disaster when compared to fully horn loaded
Old 9th January 2010, 03:17 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Opinions please:

Regardless of box size, flatness of response counts, tonal quality counts, high sensitivity counts.

The goal is to be VERY FLAT and 99db/1w/1m - but I'll take tone, fidelity and flat response with a lower sensitivity and use a more powerful amp, assuming the driver takes power...

Looking to fill between a sub system that actually covers from 65Hz down up to a horn that actually covers from 250Hz up - so the required passband is ~65Hz to ~300Hz. Don't worry about the xovers needed or the cabinet size or type! I'll handle that part. Mention it though.
I have a similar situation with the Unity doing 300hz and up. My solution is a pair of AE TD15X (Brandons measurements here) in my case, one above and one below the Unity. Each will be in a roughly 125L net sealed box, giving a Q~0.62 unstuffed and an f3 of 60Hz and an f10 of 30Hz.

Sensitivity calcs out at 97.5dB/W or 101.9 dB/2.83V according to Unibox.
Old 11th January 2010, 01:22 PM   #26
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

A few things here...

a horn is not an option in this system.

the higher the sensitivity the better in terms of matching.
a single driver in 15" is the limit in terms of space. 2 x 12" is feasible...

I've got experience with the Altecs, the JBLs and the Focal 15 series... thinking to myself that of the lot the Focals might be the best sounding.

Again, I do not want or need to go below ~50-60Hz. I've got killer subs for that area.

Tonal quality and fidelity are the criteria that I'm concerned with - natural sound - Mingus ought to sound like his bass is in the room... and not sound like someone else's instrument... and of course maximum sensitivity.

Upper bass to die for? Ideas are nice, actual experience is better.

_-_-bear

PS. the JBLs sound ok, but have a kinda dead and non dynamic presentation - and maybe don't reach their sensitivity specs? Maybe they are better than what I just said... but I'd maybe tend toward a K140 or earlier driver... dunno.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Is a line array an option?
Old 11th January 2010, 04:23 PM   #28
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

A line array is vaguely a possibility, but I worry about the polar response a little bit vs. the horn... what did you have in mind?

Keep in mind that with a line array the quality is exactly equal to that of one single driver (just goes louder and has potentially greater sensitivity), and the cost per driver is then a consideration...

oh yeah, baffle width...

_-_-bear
Old 11th January 2010, 05:47 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I don't have any specific driver in mind, just some calculations:
Bass arrays have to cover min. two thirds of the room height. Driver distance max. 50 cm for 344 Hz (half wavelength). Gives 6 dB plus. Plus 6 dB compared to a point radiator in four meters distance. Minus 6 dB bafflestep. Still 6 dB plus, with a 93 dB sensitivity driver 99 dB. 40 cm driver distance gives a dB more. Finding a twelve-incher with 93 dB sensitivity that goes down to 50 Hz in a reasonably sized sealed enclosure should be easy to find, but isn't.
Old 11th January 2010, 06:31 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I read somewhere that for midbass, 12" woofers are more believable, as the smaller, lighter cones are more easily moved. I'm pretty sure it was on this forum, but I've no idea where.

To reply to the above post, Eminence will make batches of custom speakers for most purposes - just give them a set of parameters and off they go.

Hide this!Advertise here!