"BEST" Woofer 50Hz - 300Hz & Hi eff, maybe 15" ?? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 02:43 PM   #111
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... still rainin' still dreamin'...

Altec does not "do it" for me, EBA if that is what you are suggesting... if you are suggesting field coil to "adjust the parameter of the speaker" I suppose there is some merit to field coil, but the main thought I have is not that but the sound, and for that there is no single parameter that translates exactly...

_-_-bear
Old 17th November 2011, 08:42 AM   #112
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I have only read very quickly through this thread, but has anyone mentioned the Tone Tubby 12" alnico hempcone? It is a favorite of Lynn Olson. Have a look at his impressions and measurements here:
The 12" Alnico Tone Tubby

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 17th November 2011, 04:41 PM   #113
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaudio4way View Post
Beyma 15P80ND
Seconded! Really a killer driver wrt detail and punch, and it CAN go low, as low as you want (within it's Xmax).

And please, all, forget about voltage (and real valued Ohms) based sensivity ratings of drivers, this is complete BS (except you're strictly going the passive route). Why? It disfavours strong (low Qes, high BLČ/Re) drivers for no valid reason! A driver NEVER can be too strong -- really about time to blow up that urban myth (exception : ported boxes, then you must make the port slightly resistive). This strength causes a high local feedback in the driver and this is what makes a driver articulate well. The apparent LF roll-off with constant voltage drive is simple EQ'd to target, that's it. With Class-D this also yields the very best true efficiency one could ever get from any amp+driver combo.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:07 PM   #114
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

KSTR,

Can you articulate how exactly you do the low-end EQ for low-Q drivers? Just the procedure. I have one that needs to be EQed. Also, could you expand on why ported boxes must have resistive ports for such drivers and how this can be done (simply add stuffing to the port?).

Thanks!
Old 17th November 2011, 08:35 PM   #115
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ra7,

look here : What are the unique challenges to making a "baffle-less" speaker?
(notably, the first paper in the given links)

How I do EQ? Put a mic at the listening position and EQ that to the target magnitude response with the (((Acourate))) toolbox, a software that allows you to build correction kernels which can be fed in any convolution engine (DSP) of a software player (I use foobar and its convolver add-on). This is minimum phase normally, but I filter the kernel with another identical slope highpass reversed in time, this gives a linear phase response (dragging the energy centers of LF bursts (read:drums) at and below cut-off to where they belong, exactly under the HF/MF part of the pulse response).

Dampening the port Q was not necessary with my limited experience of two boxes built around "unsuited" drivers (one of them with Qes = 0.15), but it might be required when you want to build small together with a low tuning and thererfore need a small diameter port which would certainly be prone to chuffing, even with flares. Stuffing the port is an option but not very repeatable and might have linearity (large signal) problems. I'd think better try drag down the air flow by friction along huge port wall surface compared to exit area --> sort of an Onken style of porting, lossy slot ports.
I have never tried Variovents and Passive Radiators, though, which could also work better than undamped air ducts.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:05 PM   #116
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

not really sure if this fits the bill
but it might hold possibilites

FaitalPRO - Professional Loudspeakers Made in Italy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ooooo.jpg (12.8 KB, 262 views)
Old 17th November 2011, 09:12 PM   #117
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I'll take a look at the link.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:24 PM   #118
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post

I am looking for a "holy grail" driver on this, fellas... guess I will eventually have to just try a whole lot of stuff, then go back and decide which one was actually the best retrospectively... ah well...

..and not enough money!!

_-_- bear

Yeah, the search is in vain then. (..of course it might be anyway - but the only way you'll find out is your own comparison with a massive variety, and that pretty much means spending a lot of money.)

BTW, which focal driver type did you like? Polyglass, PolyKevlar, or the newer spun-glass versions?
Old 17th November 2011, 09:33 PM   #119
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Thanks! I'll take a look at the link.
not a lot of xmax
and 0.6 Qts, not excessive either

looking at the lowish 44 liter Vas, I was thinking if a really big closed box might work

as a nice simple 2way fore small power amps
Old 17th November 2011, 10:14 PM   #120
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
(..of course it might be anyway - but the only way you'll find out is your own comparison with a massive variety, and that pretty much means spending a lot of money.)

Going back and looking at your subjective descriptions - I'm thinking it's possibly worse than this.

i.e. what you want isn't immediately available (to be auditioned), or rather would require a custom driver.

When I think about low "ringing". Polyglass-like smoothness. Excellent clarity. I automatically think AudioTechology. They have modestly efficient drivers, but none I'd call "efficient". They are however *custom*. If they would just ease-off of the mms (and allow a resulting higher fs), I'm sure they could be quite efficient (comparatively-speaking):
Flexunits 12 B 77 25 10
Flexunits 15 E 102 25 10

Hide this!Advertise here!