Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2010, 08:59 PM   #101
Rojoh is offline Rojoh  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm very happy with my Precision Devices PDN.15BR40. They might be an option at a reasonable price. I don't use them that high in frequency though, but 300 shouldn't be a problem at all. Blends perfectly with my 8" DC Tannoys at 100Hz.
Precision Devices International Limited

-Johan
Old 6th October 2010, 09:53 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Default More suggestions

Back to Bear's original suggestion: the TAD 1201. I have 3 pairs of them NIB for $400 a pair plus shipping if someone wants to do what he is suggesting. Great drivers. (Midbass) I'm keeping one pair to use with an AE woofer whenever I can figure out what I want to do for a cabinet.

Since re-reading his post, I ran my 1201 in a 1.7cf box at a crossover point of 60hz, and it did very nicely. I crossed it over at 800 to a horn. I was not playing it really loud though. I do not have eq, so the TAD was losing some grunt down low, and I had to dial down my horns a bit to match.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:28 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

For Mid Base, I Use a pair of McCauley 6224 drivers configured MTM with c/o settings of HPF: 60-80Hz and LPF:600-800Hz. This works well with any of the TAD compression drivers. You can change the basket to 12", 15" and 18" as well without replacing the motor, but do not like what this does to the polar response in c/o region with the HF driver nor the artifacts you get by operating the driver appreciably outside its piston range.

Regards,
WHG

McCauley.com : Products: Components > 6224: Overview
Attached Images
File Type: jpg product_shot_62241_212121.jpg (38.5 KB, 531 views)
Old 7th October 2010, 01:19 PM   #104
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi WHG,

The McCauleys 6224 are nice, but according to Boxplot it takes 6W to get a single up to 100dB. Obviously MTM should help there.

My vote is for the already mentioned JBL D130 (I wish I had never sold mine), may be a little weak in the peak power department.

Regards,
Old 7th October 2010, 11:03 PM   #105
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like Bear has dropped out of the thread. Wonder is he ever found what he wanted?
Old 8th October 2010, 04:04 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default Texas vs. Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi WHG,

The McCauleys 6224 are nice, but according to Boxplot it takes 6W to get a single up to 100dB. Obviously MTM should help there.

My vote is for the already mentioned JBL D130 (I wish I had never sold mine), may be a little weak in the peak power department.

Regards,
D130 is a 15", antique driver that is no longer manufactured by JBL. Its parameters are: [No]=6.7%, [Fs]=40 Hz, [Qts]= 0.25

vs.

D131, also antique, but smaller, has an [No]=8.4%, [FS]=50 Hz, [Qts]=0.18

By your choice, you are trading more beaming and breakup modes for the efficiency gained by a larger [Sd].

My recommendation remains, to trade in the opposite direction and to use smaller drivers that are currently manufactured. In this venue, the big displacement demands have already been met by the sub-woofers.

Some additional candidates follow:

JBL 2012H 10" Driver, [No]=3.1%, [Fs]=60 Hz, [Qts]=0.21, [Sens]=100 dB SPL
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2012h.pdf

JBL 2020H 12" Driver, [No]=5.32%, [Fs]=60 Hz, [Qts]=0.24, [Sens]=103 dB SPL
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2020h.pdf

Regards,

WHG
Old 8th October 2010, 05:50 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Can advice Sonido SCW400. It is not on the web sonido.hu , but Istvan Varga can send parameters if needed.

They are lightweight paper woofers with very natural sound.
Old 13th October 2010, 04:03 PM   #108
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Hi, not didn't drop out - have some major family health issues that I have had to deal with, still doing so. So, the sound thing is somewhat on the back burner now...

The best sounding woofer I ever played with was a Vieta (spelling?) with a white cotton fiber cone. Wonderful sounding cone - not efficient though. The reason I think that it was so good to listen to was that the cone itself was very lossy. This means that there was NOT excessive higher harmonic output from the cone itself. Many of these lighter older cones have high efficiency, but also have extra harmonic content - even when rolled off, due to modes being excited mechanically (imo).

The JBLs tend to measure ok, a little low on sensitivity, but sound kinda dead. I tried a pair of TAD 1601s in Isobaric some years ago, they were very good in that config, as the box size came down. Wish perhaps I did not sell the drivers... that might be a top candidate now. Dunno. Hard to know.

May consider a line source too for that pesky 50/60 to 300Hz range. Dunno.

In my view it is all in the way that the driver sounds when you listen to it not the specs. Unless I go triamped it is big deal to get the sensitivity up to ~100dB.

Yin/yang on that, eh?

Oddly enough one of the best drivers in terms of reproducing an acoustic stand up jazz bass was heard at Marty King's place in a small room with his TQWTs and a Fostex driver. Upper bass to die for. But that solution won't fly for me in this app - and it is big and it is tall, and it doesn't have much SPL ability... but the sound was great in that range.

I am looking for a "holy grail" driver on this, fellas... guess I will eventually have to just try a whole lot of stuff, then go back and decide which one was actually the best retrospectively... ah well...

So many drivers, so little time, and not enough money!!

_-_- bear
Old 21st October 2011, 03:23 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Beyma 15P80ND
I have two of these, very fast transient kicks, extended fairly smooth midrange, but not the best for very low subwoofer bass output, but ideal for your stated requirements. I paid 201 GBP each.
http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/15P80NdE.pdf
Old 16th November 2011, 09:44 AM   #110
EBA is offline EBA  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Bear,

You want the best speaker like 416A or 416-8A with better eff and lower FS and better accelaration factor FA with a possibility to ajust the parameter of the speaker to the room and the cabinet. Is possible but the price is very expensive.

I have this speaker in ONKEN 360 box. It's top !

EMSPEAKER B15EX with separate excitation. Web side : www.emspeaker.com

Hide this!Advertise here!