GRF cabinets for 10" tannoy hpd's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been searching alot but there dont seem to be any horn cabinet designs for the 10" tannoys.

Do you think it would be worth persuing?

Im my previous thread we got some good suggestions for a ported box for them but cant help myself thinking about a horn cabinet.

Could the normal GRF R cabinet be scaled down?

I did find this
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoyh1.pdf

Which basicaly just suggests narrowing the cabinet, admitedly this is for an earlier 10" tannoy.

Any thoughts?

Ive been trawling the net, searching for info.

There is very little!

I found the plans in the link above but all other grf plans are for 12's or 15's.

I found reference to the cornetta. Seems there were 2 versions of this. I know they werent designed for the hpd's but people have successfully used 12 and 15" hpd's in grf cabs designed for earlier drivers so i figure its worth a go.

There were 2 types of cornetta, the tannoy version and the japanese version.
Japanese version is a corner cabinet, the tannoy version is a rectangle.

I cant find plans of either, but its the rectangle version im interested in.

I did find a spread sheet though listing all the tannoy specs.

The outside dimensions of the rectangle rear loaded horn cornetta are...

34.75" x 18.5" x 16.1"

These are the same dimensions as the plans in the link above, except they are wider.

So, i think ive found what im looking for :)

Will be a few weeks untill i can get started but ill update once construction begins.

Graeme,
I built a pair of rectangular Cornettas for my 10'Golds about 3 years ago. I was in touch with a fellow called Gary at the time who inhabits various Tannoy related lists under the name ejfud who had just bought a pair - somewhere on the west coast of the USA I think - and kindly went inside and took several measurements. He drew up roughly the dimensions, and that drawing is around somewhere on the Yahoo Tannoy site, though I can't find it right now. I also have an electronic copy somewhere at home. (I'm wasting time at work right now).

The link you show is not an official Tannoy design. I don't know how well it works, but I did see that prototype cabinet for sale on ebay a couple of years ago .. I don't think it sold. However, it may work perfectly well - I don't see why not.

That said, the official Tannoy Cornetta rectangular design is back-loaded (nothing to do with the Japanese one, which is a combination of front-loaded and reflex) and quite a bit simpler than the one you link to, if that matters to you. To me it looks like a smaller version of the rectangular GRF. It sounds very nice in the mids, but somewhat boomy in the bass, which I should be able to alleviate with fibre fill at the appropriate place along the duct when I have time. It is a pain of course; I have to take the thing apart.

So hunt round the Tannoy Yahoo site - I am sure Gary's drawings are there somewhere.
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.