OB with tb w8-1808, and morel caw938 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2010, 02:53 AM   #1
sqrivi is offline sqrivi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default OB with tb w8-1808, and morel caw938

I did a search and didn't turn up much info. I am considering building an OB system using one TB w8-1808 and four morel caw938 woofers per tower. The front baffle will be aprox. 18"wide and 48"tall. I plan on using the TB from 200hz(ish) and up with the morels filling in the lower frequencies.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I on track or way off base? Here are links to the speakers.

Parts-Express.com:*Tang Band W8-1808 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1808 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

Parts-Express.com:*Morel CAW 938 9" Cast Frame Woofer | caw938 mw-265 mw-266 mw265 mw 265 6 inch woofer mid woofer midbass 6" woofer poly cone shielded woofer
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:23 AM   #2
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

have you look at bigger woofers with higher QTS?

more output, cost less (per channel) and probably perform better than those morel woofers

(ae ib15, exodus dpl15, exodus dpl10, eminence alpha 15a, etc...)
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:25 AM   #3
domtw is offline domtw  France
diyAudio Member

Sorry not to reply to the subject but I can't access PartsExpress website for a few days already.
Does anyone else has the problem?
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The TB 8" may make a great OB midrange. But those woofers, I don't know...
I think you would get much more bang-for-buck with different woofers and better sound, too.

@Dom, P.E. working for me here in U.S.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqlkev View Post
have you look at bigger woofers with higher QTS?

more output, cost less (per channel) and probably perform better than those morel woofers

(ae ib15, exodus dpl15, exodus dpl10, eminence alpha 15a, etc...)
Thanks for the feedback. I am somewhat confused though. I looked up the subs you mentioned. The ae and exodus subs are great looking subs, but the specs (qts., efficiency) seem to be similar to the morel. Please forgive my newby question, but how will this be more output is it because of the larger xmax? I am not stuck on the morel, but I would like to keep the sub 12" or less if possible. Just trying to find a good solution to match up to the TB.
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Simple XL Baffle comparison of a few dipole woofers. There are better free tools to model you exact baffle layout. The 15" AE Speakers IB15 with much larger VAS and Xmax is about the same price as the Morel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morel.jpg (92.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg AESpeakers IB15.jpg (34.4 KB, 283 views)
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default A proven cost effective alternative

Expanding a bit on Panomaniacs woofer choice comments... for the price of one of the Morel 9" you can buy 2 each of the Peerless 830669 12" with the following advantages... Double the xmax, equal or better lower midrange performance (simpler crossover) more than double the area...(with 2 Peerless in parallel nearly 5 times the area as that of a single Morel), 4ohm load which reduces the inductor value and cost by half and so on. The Morel is a fine driver but no match in an OB application to a single Peerless... let alone a pair of them. And on the baffle QTS will be roughly similar... the Peerless tend to come in around .56 give or take after break in. FS is also similar. And the Peerless is flat to 1.9K plus a Faraday motor. A steal! Your proposed baffle size is also a good match for a dual Peerless bottom end... just about ideal actually.
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

okay, thanks for the input. I like the idea of the peerless. I have a couple of options for everyone to consider:

1. The TB speaker with 2-830669 12" subs.

2. The TB speaker with 4-830668 10" subs.

What do you guys think, or do you have any other suggestions?
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Peerless 830699 added to baffle independent model to better illustrate basic speaker T/S parameter effects.

I would probably use two AE Speakers IB15 wired in parallel on each 18" wide baffle since this would provide 92 db/watt efficiency with enough dipole bass from the 18mm Xmax for any future mid-tweet new DIY designs. I would also physically isolate the high vibration woofers baffle from the mid-tweet. This can be done with two isolated baffles, or one baffle where the mid-tweet are attached to a separate floor stand and have a soft gasket to the baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peerless.jpg (71.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg SupervoxDipole.jpg (43.2 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Feastrex_Fullsize.jpg (170.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1981.jpg (53.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You'd end up with about 25% more surface area with 4x10. But I don't know how you would wire them to get 4 ohms. The 4 ohms impedance makes the crossover easier/cheaper.

The Peerless 12 is a great driver. I like it a lot. Have not used the 10", but it should be very nice, too.

Hide this!Advertise here!