SB Acoustics SB29 or Peerless HDS for 1.5khz Xover? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SB Acoustics SB29 or Peerless HDS for 1.5khz Xover?

I'm looking to use one of these 2 tweeters - the SB Acoustics SB29 or the Peerless HDS tweeter with the midrange driver Peerless Nomex 6.5" midwoofer 830875. I've got a Behringer DCX 2496 and am wanting to use L-R 4th order crossovers between them. What would be the best choice?
Old 31st December 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm sure you've looked at the 3rd party distortion measurements at Zaph's site?

The Peerless HDS (now a scanspeak labelled driver) is a better driver for low crossover frequencies. If you want to use the SB29, I would recommend a bit higher crossover, maybe 1.7 or 1.8kHz, however it may work well even down to 1.5kHz but you may be a bit limited by power handling. The 830875 will still be happy with a slightly higher crossover.

Last edited by DcibeL; 31st December 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 31st December 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not use any 1" tweeter that low. IMHO. The HDS is my tweeter of choice right now, but I have one of each to test. Just setting up my bench again, with my DCX plugged in this time.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I looked at Zaph's site quite a bit, and the SB29 seems to have a lower frequency response (flat to 1k), where the HDS tweeter starts to roll off at 1.5khz. That's one reason I thought the SB29 would be a good choice for 1.5khz crossover. Is there a danger I'd blow up either one of these tweeters w/a crossover that low? The woofer I'm using seems to get very beamy above 1.5khz so I figured a crossover in that region would be best. Unless I'm missing something?
Old 1st January 2010, 01:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You only blow up things if you play it too loud! The good thing about the SB is they are half the price of the HDS and probably almost as good. I may be going for different end results, but I am starting to think more highly of much smaller mid-woofers or even, gasp, midranges again. That's why I picked up a pair of John's little 5 inch drivers to play with.
Old 1st January 2010, 09:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, for good off-axis power response, it seems as though you have to either use a smaller driver than 6.5", or you have to use some type of waveguide on the tweeter.

I might end up going the same way you are, a smaller driver. I wonder how Zaph's driver compares to something like the Scan Speak Revelator 5 incher....
Old 1st January 2010, 11:09 PM   #7
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

Both these tweeters can be used at 1.5k in a well designed two way

Measurements

mark
Old 1st January 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oh wow, you ran 1khz test tones through the SB29 at 106db? That's FAR louder than I ever listen, so I think my 1.5 khz xover point is probably OK, based on that info.
Old 1st January 2010, 11:35 PM   #9
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

As far as damage, i woudnl't think there would be much of a difference between 1.5 and 1.7k. Tweeters of this quality shouldn't fry at either of those frequencies (or even lower) at normal or even quite loud listening levels. If you're nitpicking with distortion that's a different story. I haven't heard either of them but if you can get either i'd go the HDS made by scanspeak. That's just me though. No one will be able to guess which tweeter you'll like better. Just get one and play with the x-over frequency yourself seeing as you have the dcx. Go with what sounds good to you
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Yes, for good off-axis power response, it seems as though you have to either use a smaller driver than 6.5", or you have to use some type of waveguide on the tweeter.

I might end up going the same way you are, a smaller driver. I wonder how Zaph's driver compares to something like the Scan Speak Revelator 5 incher....
Zaph is quite good for the money. I like it better than the Dayton RS. ScanSpeak it is not.

Hide this!Advertise here!