Replacement for a 12 Ohm midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DIY'ers,

I am new to this beautiful forum. Been following as a visitor for a long time tough.
I have a question about replacing a 5" midrange of a Pioneer CS-R590 that I just got. (Fr.Range: 31-20000Hz, max power: 150W)
One of the midrange drivers has a little tear. I took it apart off the baffle and saw it is a 12 Ohm driver. I do not know any of the other parameters tough. The speaker itself is 8 Ohms as usual. Not being very good at resistor/caps calculation;

Do I have a chance to replace it with a 4, 8 or 6 Ohm driver with appropriate resistor/inductor?

Which impedance would be better? There are a lot of driver options for 4 and 8 but not for 6. (Based on PE)

Also which necessary resistor or inductor or any other component should I add to match the impedance from XO? (I hope, I have a chance to match an 8 Ohm driver of which too many options are available in the market)

Any input would be appreciated very much. I wish y'all a happy 2010.

Regards.

CS-R590 - sounds like a quite old model of Pioneer If is just a small tear then a simple driver cone repair can be made(if the cone is paper based) using pieces of tissue paper and diluted Elmer's glue - just google "repair tear in speaker cone" and there are lots of hits for step by step procedure if you have not done this before.

CS-R590 - sounds like a quite old model of Pioneer If is just a small tear then a simple driver cone repair can be made(if the cone is paper based) using pieces of tissue paper and diluted Elmer's glue - just google "repair tear in speaker cone" and there are lots of hits for step by step procedure if you have not done this before.

It's from 1988. I wouldn't call it vintage but not bad as a low end speaker.
I searched and read "how to" articles that you advised. The problem is; it was torn right on the edge of dust cap which makes it impossible to repair with the technique that I've read. And also it's a sealed back driver. Thank you for your input Cokewithlime :)

I agree with MoonDog55 - it is worth a try - since it is a mid driver excursion amounts should not be extreme and even if you are only able to repair it from the front side it should make the existing driver usable

Based upon your description of the damaged driver you might want to have a look at these drivers from MCM Electronics - one of them could be a virtual drop in replacement

Pioneer 5" sealed back mid #1
Pioneer 5" sealed back mid #2

Could be worth trying, try removing the dust-cap, doing the repair then replace the dustcap

I thought about removing the cap too but the paper cone looks and feels very vulnerable (being a low quality material) I assume it would be a total loss if I tried to remove :). These speakers are very low quality indeed compared to Pioneer's other models. E.g. no interior damping, a very simple XO on a 1*1" PC board, etc..

I agree with MoonDog55 - it is worth a try - since it is a mid driver excursion amounts should not be extreme and even if you are only able to repair it from the front side it should make the existing driver usable

Based upon your description of the damaged driver you might want to have a look at these drivers from MCM Electronics - one of them could be a virtual drop in replacement

Pioneer 5" sealed back mid #1
Pioneer 5" sealed back mid #2

Thanks for the links. I saw these drivers @ PE. They seem like a very good replacement but my only concern is the original being a 12 Ohm and replacements 8 Ohm. Non-matching impedance sounds like an issue to me. Is it worth a try? Or is it obviously a "don't"?

Without knowing the t/s specs on your current busted driver, we are all shooting in the dark as to what might be an acceptable replacement - obviously physical size and sealed back are number one - the MCM drivers cover that. PE and a couple of other suppliers have some Dahlquist 5.5" 12ohm drivers but none of them are sealed back, which would mean you would have to construct a sub-enclosure if you wanted to use these.

IMHO, just go with either of the drivers that I first linked to above and if Moondog55 is correct about the XO for those boxes - then yes, a simple capacitor change should work with these replacements.

You could try to lift the torn piece by using a tiny amount of glue and a small piece of paper, then glue the tear with another piece of paper to hold it in position, so you can put the final "fix" piece of paper over the whole tear. I've never tried it before, but it should work *in theory*. :p

Oh, and I have an unknown 15 Ohm driver. 15 Ohm, it couldn't be 16 or 12, could it? :D And it was in the back of an old car with a 4 Ohm for the other channel. Obviously the person who replaced the speaker took no notice of the ratings, etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.