Mark K's er18dxt - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2013, 03:41 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Heavily stuffing a ported enclosure, with stuffing around the port will reduce the degree to which the port acts. If the end of the port (the end inside the cabinet) is free of any side walls or stuffing then it will work in an optimum fashion.

Stuffing a cabinet alone, be it ported, sealed, or whatever, will increase the effective volume of the cabinet and will alter the tuning frequency. I don't think you can really have too much stuffing unless it is interfering with a port or similar in a detrimental way. I had experimented briefly with stuffing small cabinets with huge amounts of stuffing, ie rolling the stuff up and literally squashing it down inside and the more stuffing I added the more volume the cabinet appeared to have. I think you'd really have to compact and squash down stuffing incredibly tightly to actually end up with a situation where the addition of more stuffing actually lowers the cabinet volume.
Old 5th March 2013, 03:47 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
Can it affect high frequencies ?
Thank you for advice, I ll play with polyfill.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:14 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Heavily stuffing a ported enclosure, with stuffing around the port will reduce the degree to which the port acts. If the end of the port (the end inside the cabinet) is free of any side walls or stuffing then it will work in an optimum fashion.

Stuffing a cabinet alone, be it ported, sealed, or whatever, will increase the effective volume of the cabinet and will alter the tuning frequency. I don't think you can really have too much stuffing unless it is interfering with a port or similar in a detrimental way. I had experimented briefly with stuffing small cabinets with huge amounts of stuffing, ie rolling the stuff up and literally squashing it down inside and the more stuffing I added the more volume the cabinet appeared to have. I think you'd really have to compact and squash down stuffing incredibly tightly to actually end up with a situation where the addition of more stuffing actually lowers the cabinet volume.
http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Box%20Stuffing.pdf
Old 5th March 2013, 06:32 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

THX for an article link !
Old 5th March 2013, 07:28 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Interesting article, it would appear that the smaller the box, the greater the stuffing density you can get away with. This might explain why I didn't appear to get negative going results with my very small boxes, which are less than 100cm².
Old 5th March 2013, 09:02 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

re:"I have stuffed HEAVILY boxes with filler. I had nothing to loose but gained a lot more bass" - good result, but shows the box was too small to start with.... (&/or tuning too low)
Old 7th March 2013, 05:50 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Tandata, stuffing works. I will play next week a bit more with stuffing, just to see if reducing amount of polyfill before port will result in better high frequencies. I think I can release more of it. Anyway- my old arcam is the limiting factor.

PeteMck, indeed I have just a bit deeper enclosure and port was to specifications, and maybe it was the reason I had no proper bass.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:40 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
THX for an article link !
Here's another.

Volume filling a reflex box

In short, it is recommended, but don't put too much.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:46 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I think I should try to stuff more behind brace around port, keeping port open towards tweeter until middle brace- Bigger density there.
And before brace from drivers side use less stuffing but covering port ...
Old 7th March 2013, 09:03 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Apparently I made right decision using 3 dowels on every side of every joint, plus dowels for the brace ! I did not use any sound deadening sheets (once suggested to me), only damping sheets from europe audio.
Silicone along corners.
As well front and back baffles (25mm thickness, walls are 18mm) recessed (flush mounted ?) into enclosure.
Hopefully it will reduce resonances.
Weight is significant

Hide this!Advertise here!