Dipole tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions for dipole tweeters, the Linaeums are thin on the ground and the Beyma TPL-150 is way above my budget.

Anyone used Vifa D25AG77 before ?

Anyone know if I can get away with tweeters back to back?

Cheers

Happy New Year !

Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-15.html

Mounting driver's back to back doesn't technically result in a dipole speaker because of the separation distance between the two drivers. Of course real-world it might not matter much, or perhaps more correctly the baffle shape/size you use will likely have a much greater impact on the results then a minute difference in distance (..assuming it actually is quit small).

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Tangband W2-800SL

With 18ohm series resistor and 3.3-4.2uf it sounds quite nice
Theres indication that a paralel 15ohm will improve
And maybe a paralel inductor and resistor
But at the moment it plays with just the series components
I know, 18ohm in series seems strange, but it really works
Other values may be better, I just threw it together in an hour
Been listening to it fore a week, and nothing to complain about
At this price I doubt you will find any better

Last edited:
I would love to find more (small) affordable dipole tweeters.

I currently use the Neo3PDR, and have no complaints. It has excellent polar response, and hasn't blown while listening loud (although I'm still waiting for PE to get them back in stock since blowing them when switching amps live - if you're going active with your crossover, don't be like me, use protection!). They are affordable too.

Some of the AMTs look really nice, but are way too expensive.

I experimented with small, back to back tweeters here. They worked surprisingly badly.

A few dipole speakers are taking the rear cover off of compression drivers to generate dipole radiation. Coaxial speakers with integrated compression drivers are also using the open dome back for dipole radiation. Few seem to be putting a horn on both the front and rear of the dipole compression driver

Has anyone experimented with using a compression driver with the rear cover removed for dipole operation? Are any specific compression drivers constructed to operate safely without their rear cover?

Attachments

• vcBastani.jpg
    vcBastani.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 862
  • hero_eyeBastansis.jpg
    hero_eyeBastansis.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 840
  • SV3.jpg
    SV3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 841
  • pmaxx.jpg
    pmaxx.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 829
I'm also interested in this topic. Having used the Neo3PDR with great results I want a tweeter that can be crossed at 1kHz or lower. I've been thinking about the M&D DM-4 driver wich is available at $250 per pair. I know about Zaph's measurements and I don't think they look as bad as he thinks they do. :D It's really just a little dampening of the top octave and maybe the resonanse needed. I've listened to the M&D speakers and I think the upper mid and treble are awesome so I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair... :D

Gainphile has had mixed results with soft domes back-to-back, so I might bite the bullet and jump to ribbons like the Neo3, where ScottG has provided a link to a very interesting article about adding a horn/waveguide to the Neo 3.

The B&G Neo3/8 look like possible candidates, the Founteks are easier to source, but are not dipole or easily converted into dipoles.

Whats the best place to get the B&G's ?

I am in London, bought my Neo3 PDR drivers from Parts Express about six months ago, all done online. They delivered by UPS and I ended up paying as follows;

2 drivers - £87.32
UPS Express Saver - £42.55
Total - £129.87

There was a further import tax also.

Otherwise I saw them for 70 euros a pop in europe.

I've just ordered a pair of Neo 3 PDR from Meniscus Audio. They used USPS and charged me 15USD. Lets see if it gets nabbed with vat etc
The tax isn't the worst part, the worst part is the handling fee that the post office or courier charge, often as much as the vat itself !

Last edited:
My Neo 3 PDR arrived a few days ago. The package did not escape the attention of the C&E people, whats worse the handling charge from the UK Post Office was 160% more than the actual tax :mad:

I also purchased some Sonicap poly caps to help protect the tweeters from mishaps.

I just need to finalise the amplification now. I have the bass, mid, tweeters and crossover now.

Time to start a new thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.