Basic rules for speaker building

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic rules for speaker building

pinkmouse said:
Give me a couple of months, and I will have a website up that is on exactly this topic. I am just learning Flash, for interactive simulations and Dreamweaver, along with everything else in my life, so it will be coming, just don't hold your breath!

Careful with the Flash, make sure it collapses nicely. I have seen a lot of Flash that won't play even in enabled browsers. And DreamWeaver produces pretty fat, ugly code.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hi Dave....

Andy Graddon said:
there was a recent discussion on MAD about edge rounding. many guys who one would say were "reliable" have noted a change in depth of imaging with even 3/4" round edges.

There we go again with evidence of what happens way up there is important... i stand corrected (I do always put as much roundover on my boxes as i can even if it is only a half inch)

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Dave/JasonL

The problem I have, not being that keen on Flash myself, is that I want the demos to be interactive, and Flash seems to be the only way to do this.

What I want to do is have a graphic, showing radiated waves from two drivers, that can be manipulated, so you have a hands on experience of both moving drivers nearer and further apart on a baffle, and also backwards and forwards, to simulate time alignment. It would be also nice to show how different crossover orders affect the dispersion.

To do this with animated gifs would take several, and probably be much slower to load...

you can also use java, I often see java on my teacher's online physics lessons

but I've never used flash nor java for myself, I can't help you

but I agree that a website made with flash is irritating (long to load, no right click...), but if it's only for the animations, why not. We won't oblige to you make animations in ascii art :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
The problem I have, not being that keen on Flash myself, is that I want the demos to be interactive, and Flash seems to be the only way to do this.

I know the problem... and note that i didn't say not to use it... just to make sure it collapses gracefully when it does break. A site that relies on everything for flash, navigation etc is one i will avoid.

In your case you will have a lot of opportunity to warn people and to have an alternate set of static examples. Animated gifs won't play well for interactivity, but static examples (Flash does export animated gifs doesn't it?) would be good. Java is an option, but it probably breaks even more often than Flash.

dave

Re: sealed subs.....

Andy Graddon said:
IMO it is best to glue some damping material to the insides of the cabinet. Carpet underlay is sort of ok, but there are of course more expensive and better substitutes. This helps damp cabinet resonance.
Then fill the whole cabinet , leaving room for the driver, with either dacron or fibreglass or similar.

Question about the brace, is it just a cross brace, in which case shouldn't be a problem

The brace kinda ties three side together. It is position behind the woofer as a cross brace( tying the sides together) but is also tying the rear and top together too.

The woofer will be used from 800Hz on down.

Thanks,
Dan

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Bricolo said:

if the first 19th are audio & diy related, there's no problem ;)

Unfortunately the first is finding a new job/career, as the corporate entertainment/conference market, where a major part of my income comes from, has died completely in the last year, so far my earnings this half year are down to a quarter of the previous six months, and I just can't survive on what I'm making:(

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I've been radiusing the edges of my boxes (usually 19mm) and covering the front and radius with felt since 1981. According to Olsen, my radius is far too small, yet the first time I did it (glorious mono), I found that lobing was reduced. As I walked in an arc around the loudspeaker, the treble fell away gently and smoothly, whereas it had previously bumped up and down. All done with ears, as I couldn't afford FFT in 1981. (At the time, KEF were very proud of their FFT, but it occupied three full height bays!)

Nobody has mentioned the Stephens AES paper! Boiled down, this says that braces are best positioned to minimise the diameter of circles that can be drawn within their boundaries. This means that a tall thin box needs a vertical rather than horizontal brace. I think this is why transmission lines sound nice - nothing to do with the bass loading!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
EC8010 said:
Nobody has mentioned the Stephens AES paper! Boiled down, this says that braces are best positioned to minimise the diameter of circles that can be drawn within their boundaries. This means that a tall thin box needs a vertical rather than horizontal brace. I think this is why transmission lines sound nice - nothing to do with the bass loading!

Not sure about the TL aspect, but the rest sounds interesting, could you mail me a copy?

Radius

They do make a difference. So much so that I have built cabinets with 6 inch radii (help!!!!spelling) on some speakers to a great effect. They really image well if you use good drivers and are carefull on the crossovers to limit lobing. On the thought of good imaging, use an MTM setup and don't go any larger than 6 1/2" on the Mids. Anything larger will beam like a flashlight before you can safely cross over a tweeter. Other thoughts on a good loudspeaker is to make a thick baffle and a very well braced box. The difference in the midrange is like night and day. Internal shape is also very important but I will save that for another post.

Mark
:nod:

Hey double D!

But be careful... it is written from a very specific viewpoint, and there are world's of valid design it just doesn't get into. Don't treat it as a Bible (the literal belief of which problem with some religions -- same here)

no, it may not be perfect but based on the questions here he needs a basis from which to work
methinks you kinda poo-pood an excellent book without an alternate suggestion:confused:

challenge:
name a book that is LSDC's equal

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hey double D!

EC8010 said:

I don't think i've read the Stephens article, but i have been preaching this kind of bracing for over 25 years (going back to long conversations with John Greenbank). And indeed it is one of the side effects of a TL design that it usually enforces the most effective method of bracing.

davesaudio said:
no, it may not be perfect but based on the questions here he needs a basis from which to work
methinks you kinda poo-pood an excellent book without an alternate suggestion

I didn't really pooh-pooh it -- it is an essential reference -- i have just seen people treat it as a bible and that it is not (BTW i own a copy of version 1 which came as a 3-holed typed document bound in one of those paper-presentation "binders") so read it, learn from it, but it is just a starting point.

dave

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Dual monolithic avicide

I couldn't lay hands on my copy of the Stevens paper last night, but I could find a reference for it in "High Performance Loudspeakers" 5th Ed. Martin Colloms. Wiley. 0-471-97089-1:

Stevens, W. R. "Sound radiated from loudspeaker cabinets" Proc. Audio Engineering Society 50th Convention, London, March (1975)

Another good paper is:

Tappan, H. M. "Loudspeaker enclosure walls" in "Loudspeaker Anthology" JAES 1 - 25 (1079)

The Colloms book is the academic counterpart of the LDC and gives all the references you will ever need to research the fundamentals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.