Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2009, 01:04 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
I really doubt any budget CD will go down to 500Hz without sounding harsh even at the low playback levels in a home environment.

For example, the selenium 220ti panomaniac mentioned has a recommended cross-over point of 2Khz at 12db/octave. Off-course this is a conservative rating, for PA use.

Then again, if using a CD from 1Khz and beyond, the idea is to select a very good one in order to have some decent performance in the very important 1Khz - 20Khz region.

Best luck with your project!
At the moment the screamin' deal in compression drivers seems to be the Celestion CDX1-1425. $60 from QSC, for some reason they charged me only $45 when I ordered mine. Offers 75% of the performance of the BMS 4540ND for less than half the price.

Compression Driver, 1.4", Alum., Neodymium

Augerpro, from this forum, has posted measurements. I have some on diyaudio as well.

Besides that one, the Selenium mentioned in this thread looks good.

I personally prefer BMS over just about anything, and I've seen used ones on Ebay for under $30 each.

As far as getting "400hz to 18000hz" from a single compression driver, that's just crazy talk. Compression drivers are bandwidth limited - you can't achieve that with a compression driver at any cost, much less a budget driver.

It *is* possible to cover that bandwidth if you use a lot of equalization, but distortion will be a huge problem.* It certainly wouldn't sound good at all.

I wonder if one of the reasons that compression drivers are dismissed in the HiFi world is that people have unreasonable expectations when they use them? "400hz to 18khz" isn't unusual in the HiFi world, but from a compression driver, no way.

* You could do it on certain horn types also, but they're equalizing the frequency response physically instead of via electronic means.

Old 21st December 2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Patrick - were can I look for more info on that driver? You've got me intrigued!

Oh, never mind - googled it. =)

Last edited by Pano; 21st December 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 21st December 2009, 01:38 PM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Just a notice
Patrick, your link to CDX1-1425 makes it look like a 1.4" driver
Voice coil is, but its still a 1" throat driver, and from specs its best crossed high

Fore budget
I wouldnt mind to have the BMS 1.5"/4555, small voice coil, big throat

Celestion, CDX1-1720 looks ok too, but is it available anywhere

Last edited by tinitus; 21st December 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 21st December 2009, 01:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Ha! That's what made me go chase it down. But it's a 1" exit, 2K given as low x-over point. Good to see some other CDs here. Thanks for posting it.
Old 21st December 2009, 02:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Just a notice
Voice coil is, but its still a 1" throat driver, and from specs its best crossed high

Fore budget
I wouldnt mind to have the BMS 1.5"/4555, small voice coil, big throat

Celestion, CDX1-1720 looks ok too, but is it available anywhere
True.

If you're trying to get five or six octaves out of a horn, there seems to be two options.
  • Use a spendy large format compression driver. Tad or Altec will get you 500hz to 16khz with one driver, but it will set you back over $1000 per pair.
  • Use a coaxial. This could be one of the coax units from BMS, which run about $1200 per pair. Or you could build your own, aka a Unity horn.

I personally prefer the Unity horn, because you can make a decent one for $150 per side*. It's a lot more work than simply buying a BMS, but that's what DIY is all about right? Theoretically the distortion should be lower also, because a Unity has a lot more xmax at the low end than a BMS coax.

* If I were going to build a "budget unity horn", I would use the Celestion for $45, plus four of the Tang Band paper cone two inch woofers at $15 each. That's $105 per side, and leaves $45 for wood and crossover parts. I've posted the crossover and design details in other threads. The crossover is relatively easy, since the majority of the filtering is done by the horn, not the crossover itself. (This lowers distortion a great deal also.)

Old 21st December 2009, 03:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the unity horn is a really cool idea. I had not thought it was so inexpensive to implement.

But - how hard is it for the average DIYer to get right?
Old 21st December 2009, 03:09 PM   #17
MAESTRO is offline MAESTRO  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MAESTRO Send a message via MSN to MAESTRO Send a message via Yahoo to MAESTRO
I understand....but what do you say about an first project(with my limited budget)using a full range driver in a tractrix horn(Fostex,vintage Telefunken,etc.)helping in high range with a tweeter and down from mid bass with a woofwer in a front horn(for equalizing senzitivity)??....something that has inspired me was an Horn/Dipole Hybrid from Hornloudspeaker Magazine site,except that I want to use a single woofer in a front horn not 3 woofers in OB configuration....
Old 21st December 2009, 03:14 PM   #18
MAESTRO is offline MAESTRO  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MAESTRO Send a message via MSN to MAESTRO Send a message via Yahoo to MAESTRO
Patrick thanks a lot!Just asking 'cause I'm learning,now I understand perfectly....I will look after those good budget HF compression drivers...
Old 21st December 2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Here's a real budget driver from Selenium. I use it XO'd at 650 Hz on an Altec 511 horn. It's only a mid so you lose some high end but with the money you save you might afford a tweeter. It's a little hot in the middle so you'll probably want a notch filter and maybe some padding.

Parts-Express.com:*Selenium D250-X 1" Phenolic Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI | compression driver tweeter horn driver high frequency 1" exit 1" throat midrange PA driver tweeter driver selenium083108

It's the driver on the lower horn on the right. You'll notice I had to make an adapter for it as I attached it to a bolt on flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (61.0 KB, 1066 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.jpg (97.3 KB, 1053 views)
Old 21st December 2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAESTRO View Post
.. around 300$,..
"Pair of Atlas PD-5VH Midrange Drivers $275.00"
Cornscala? | Critesspeakers.com
Klipsch Midrange | Critesspeakers.com
looks as paging drivers..

Hide this!Advertise here!