Which xover would you use??????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been playing around with xovers on a Vifa d26tg any just not sure which one of these would be better. What do you think????

4186059429_ed9bb4ef43_o.jpg

One is electronic and the other is passive. The xover point is a little different between the two but only 300hz. Also, can anyone recommend a fix for the dip around 9000hz? Measured impedance at that point is 6.2 ohm.

Last edited:
Exactly. Measurement mic is a Panasonic WM61a capsule at the end of a arrow shaft. I had posted a message earlier for a calibration file to get it closer but, didn't get any answers. BTW......These where not taken on a baffle board but in situ. Also, it looks worse than it really is because the Db scale is in 1/2Db steps.

Last edited:
It's hard to give any recommendation based on the information you've provided. Crossover design is about mating speakers with each other (hence the term), and all you've provided is a frequency sweep of a tweeter.

To choose a crossover suited to your design, many factors must be considered:
-location of speakers on baffle
-distance between acoustic centres of speakers on all three axis
-phase alignment of drivers at crossover point, taking into consideration the difference between acoustic centers
-summed frequency response of the entire system with crossover in place, taking all of the above into account

What should also be of consideration is the electrical impedance and phase of the entire system to make sure that the speaker is a relatively easy load to drive.

I understand that there is alot more to it than that. The Vifa tweet is really a D25TG-55 that was in a pair of Harmon-Kardon speakers and I have been told that it almost identical to a D26TG-05-06 that I said it was. The reason that I mention this is because the Passive crossover used here is the one that H-K designed for it. What I'm really after here is which curve looks better. I'm basically trying to decide between a passive or a active xover.

I have a pair of these same tweeters that I am using with a pair of Focal 5K4211's in an MTM. I have it crossed over at 2200hz @18db octave. They are a little bright, so I am working with a padding circuit now. Trying to decide between -2db, -2.5db, and -3db of attenuation. Some music is better at -2db and some at -3db, so I will probably split the difference at -2.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.