Port on MJK's ML TQWT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
leadbelly said:
Can I move the port on Martin King's FE164 ML TQWT design from the front to the rear with no other changes?

Or the bottom as long as it is at the end off the line. Martin tends to like his on the front thou -- most of my recent efforts have had it out the bottom and everything jacked up a bit on a stand to get a bit more height.

dave

Thanks Dave,

I prefer the aesthetics of port in the back myself.

Does the base slab weight or density have a significant impact on sound? I haven't cut pieces yet, and can cut them out of either 1" or 3/4" MDF, or even other things like cheap pine or cheap plywood if acceptable.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mostly building out of plywood these days, and the speakers tend to be tall, skinny, & top-heavy (where the drivers are). So the prime purpose of the base is to get a little wider footprint. Using something with some mass is also useful in helping them from tipping. With the bipoles we build, rocking from the speaker moving in and out is not an issue, but it could be with a box with front firing only speakers.

Aesthetically we like the base offset from the speakers with copper pipe, so when we need it we put the port on the bottom.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.