Speaker Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a while now!

I recently bought a set of Grundig Fine arts BX3 MK II for ~£60.
Unfortunately they got quite damaged in transit.
paypal have offered me a full refund if I return the goods, but this would still set me back £25 in p&p.

These are how they originally should be :
http://www.zenn.com.sg/Grundig_Fine_Arts_BX3_MK_II.JPG

Pictures of the damage can be seen here:
Speakers pictures by boreddave89 - Photobucket

I've looked around the internet and can't find much information on the drivers in the speakers. The original tweeters have been replaced with some unknown drivers, but the speakers also came with a pair of "vifa D26TF-05" tweeters as a replacement , would these actually be suitable... I have a feeling that the original owner just randomly picked some tweeters that they liked the look of.

So to sum up,
1) Can anyone suggest replacement woofers?
2) Would the provided tweeters be appropriate, if not, what should I use them for?
3) Is it worth repairing the speakers, or should I simply return them at a loss of £25 overall.

I actually think they sound pretty good as it is, they are still much better than my previous speakers. Bass can make an odd crackly noise when played particularly loud though.

The thing is it will cost me £25 for a return and I'll have achieved nothing.
Is it not worth the extra £35 for the tweeters, the cabinets, and the one functioning tower ?
Either way I've lost out, but I'm just trying to make the most of a poor situation.
They were described as "in good condition".

What I suppose I mean is, could I really get better speakers and spair tweeters for £35?
I'm thinking no... because p&p was so high on them, I just think it might not be worth a return.

I can't seem to find specs on the woofers or tweeters. I was wondering if I could salvage the woofers from the functional speaker and combine them with the tweeters to make a DIY floor stander, but I'm not sure how you could do this.

hello.
....perhaps peerless speakers that the bx series used.
Grundig Fine Arts BX 1 - Hifi-Wiki.de - die freie Gerätedatenbank
greetings

Thanks, thats useful to know.
The drivers do look very similar to something like:
Speaker City USA sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud: 164 WR 33 102 NWP AL LS 8 OHM   
I'm guessing I couldn't source the exact drivers now though, so I would have to re-design the entire crossover.

Could I make a decent set of floor standers from these drivers? (e.g. the ones sourced from the original speakers). Sorry, very new to this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.