General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2003, 09:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kenwood
Question General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

What speaker wire gauge do people use inside the enclosure. I use #12 getting from the amp to the enclosure but on a little tweeter or the midrange, the terminals are rather small.

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?

While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?

Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.

Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight. Do people typically just buy ready made gaskets? If so, where is a good source?

I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.

TIA,
Phil
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator
 
pinkmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chatham, England
Default Re: General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O.son

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?
Well. I have no idea about AWG numbers, but I tend to use 2.5 or 2.00 mm2 wire.

Quote:
While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?
I use crimp spade terminals that attach directly to the terminals on the driver/s, and that way you can just crimp the required wires together in the same spade at the back of the speaker

Quote:
Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.
Thats the way I've always done it, and it works fine.

Quote:
Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight.
I have some sorbothane rubber stuff that I always use, but weather stripping/draught excluder works well.

Quote:
I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.
Yup!!
__________________
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 11:38 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut, The Nutmeg State
Default Re: Re: General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse


Well. I have no idea about AWG numbers, but I tend to use 2.5 or 2.00 mm2 wire...
That would be 14 gauge.
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/awg.htm
__________________
"A friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body."
-Anonymous
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 03:34 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
I used to use as thick as i could accomodate (up to 12 guage), but of late have been using 1 to 4 pair of the wires inside CAT 5 cable.

If you are going to actively amp everything it is nice to have all 5 speakers running separately to the outside... gives you more room to play (ie parallel or series for the doubles, or even 4 or 5 amps).

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2003, 08:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kenwood
Thanks for the replies gang. It sounds like I am on the right track.

Where might I find sorbothane? It soulds like it could be a more appropriate solution. Is it just a sheet that you cut circles out of?

Thanks,
Phil
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2003, 08:51 PM   #6
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ever sunny San Diego
The best source I have found for sorbothane is McMaster-Carr. They have just about everything in difficult to find materials.http://www.mcmaster.com/
__________________
Philip
"If you didn't make it with your own two hands, its not really yours".
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a Gainclone with LM3886 General Direction and PSU bmwpowere36m3 Chip Amps 32 24th June 2010 04:10 PM
General guidence building guitar amp mashaffer Tubes / Valves 16 5th December 2007 09:54 PM
Help in building a 2 way speaker... beginner's questions... fjhuerta Multi-Way 0 2nd June 2005 06:51 PM
Upgrade advice - general and specific (Quad 33/303) trydecaf Solid State 0 8th February 2005 11:04 PM
2 general sub questions, please Misa A. Multi-Way 3 22nd March 2004 05:54 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2