General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2003, 09:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

What speaker wire gauge do people use inside the enclosure. I use #12 getting from the amp to the enclosure but on a little tweeter or the midrange, the terminals are rather small.

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?

While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?

Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.

Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight. Do people typically just buy ready made gaskets? If so, where is a good source?

I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.

TIA,
Phil
Old 25th May 2003, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O.son

I was thinking #18 for the tweet, #16 for the two mid's and 14 for the 8" woofs. Any thoughts?
Well. I have no idea about AWG numbers, but I tend to use 2.5 or 2.00 mm2 wire.

Quote:
While I'm at it, with a WMTMW how does one tie the two W's together and the two M's together? Do you do a splice inside the cabinet or bring both out to the, (active in my case), XO? (that's 5 pair!).

If you do tie the two W's, (let's say), inside the cabinet, how? Do you do a crimp splice, a solder splice, a terminal block?
I use crimp spade terminals that attach directly to the terminals on the driver/s, and that way you can just crimp the required wires together in the same spade at the back of the speaker

Quote:
Also, when exiting the mid chamber into the woof chamber, (on the way to the XO), how do you exit? I would think running the wires through a hole then using silicone caulk around them would do the trick but if there's a better way, I'd like to know.
Thats the way I've always done it, and it works fine.

Quote:
Finally, what do people use for gasketing material around the speaker? Closed cell weather stripping comes to mind as long as the gap is tight enough to also be air tight.
I have some sorbothane rubber stuff that I always use, but weather stripping/draught excluder works well.

Quote:
I've heard of silicone coulk but with the downside that the speakers are near impossible to remove once in.
Yup!!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th May 2003, 11:38 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: General speaker building questions, (a little advice please!)

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

Well. I have no idea about AWG numbers, but I tend to use 2.5 or 2.00 mm2 wire...
That would be 14 gauge.
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/awg.htm
Old 26th May 2003, 03:34 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I used to use as thick as i could accomodate (up to 12 guage), but of late have been using 1 to 4 pair of the wires inside CAT 5 cable.

If you are going to actively amp everything it is nice to have all 5 speakers running separately to the outside... gives you more room to play (ie parallel or series for the doubles, or even 4 or 5 amps).

dave
Old 27th May 2003, 08:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies gang. It sounds like I am on the right track.

Where might I find sorbothane? It soulds like it could be a more appropriate solution. Is it just a sheet that you cut circles out of?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 27th May 2003, 08:51 PM   #6
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

The best source I have found for sorbothane is McMaster-Carr. They have just about everything in difficult to find materials.http://www.mcmaster.com/

Hide this!Advertise here!