SMALL ENCLOSURES [width] - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Maak is offline Maak  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Maak
Question SMALL ENCLOSURES [width]

Hi there.

I want to build some small speakers for alongside computer monitor.
Width is really important in my situation so was thinking 75-100mm wide enclosure. Small depth and hight are so important.
Have considered single TB ws871 as driver. [comments please]
Low freq response would be nice but f3 around 100Hz is acceptable.
Are there any 2 way designs around using samall drivers?

If anyone can sugest drivers or point me to others who have designs this it would be apreciated.

Maak
Old 25th May 2003, 10:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wink correction

sorry meant to say enclosure depth and height are NOT so imortant.

[no wonder new members are moderated]

Maak
Old 25th May 2003, 11:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: correction

Quote:
Originally posted by Maak
sorry meant to say enclosure depth and height are NOT so imortant.

[no wonder new members are moderated]

Maak
Sorry, mate, we only moderate for abuse, not for foolishness

As for the TBs, they have a good rep on the board, I don't know them personally, as they are rare in the UK, but I'm sure someone can help, or you could try a search on the Forums, that should give you some ideas.

Good luck
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th May 2003, 11:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Have you considered fitting the base driver in the side of the speaker units, as once oyu reach low enough frequencys, the sound will become less directional and putting a bass driver out of the direct path won't be too noticable, so you could use small tweeter and mid units, but fit a larger bass unit to still get decent ranges on the speakers.
Old 25th May 2003, 11:30 PM   #5
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

The W3-871S has an outer diameter of around 90mm-95mm so to have the entire enclosure 100mm wide is cutting it close. Just use some wood that is thin enough and it won't be hard. Make a ported enclosure if you're not using an extra bass driver and it's for computer use, sealed would be smaller but with less bass extention. With the sizes you suggested, well it kinda cuts the possibilities to those two.
Old 25th May 2003, 11:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default side mount woofer

Yes this is really the question i was asking. can i get a 2 way system that fit the width? and can a side mounted woofer even be that thin...i guessed a ported enclosure mightn't work.

I could splay the enclosure a bit so it was wider at back than front.

If i go single driver with the TB, i'll probably go sealed as in
Johns pages but masage the shape a little to achieve thiner enclosure with same volume.
These roll off around 115 Hz which is acceptable to me.
Old 26th May 2003, 05:35 AM   #7
Keith D is offline Keith D  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm using the 871s too for some computer speakers. I'm using small tweeters with sealed backs to help out above 6khz, even though the tangbands are full range the graphs show they don't perform too well above 5khz or so. I'm going for something about 3.5 inches wide with some 1/4" mdf, or 1/2 if I have to. I'd rather use thin stuff and internally brace it though.
I've got a variable crossover to my subwoofer so I can set it as high as needed to match the tangbands, but I might port the tangbands just to help them out a little so I can get deeper response out of them. I'm not really sure what's a good frequency to tune them to for venting though. If there is a peak due to a high Qtc can that be removed with a notch filter?
Thanks
Old 26th May 2003, 01:10 PM   #8
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Keith.
Mind showing me data that the 871 is poor after 5k.
I do now from shooting measurments with MLSSA and first Speaker Workshop that is is +- 5db out past 23k.
So I guess myself and John,Jim Griffin,Bob Wright and Mr Koonce must be all only capable of measuring up tp 5k and that is also were my hearing stops. )

At this time I am just finishing the Super ELF this uses the 871S in a seperate volume then a 319S1 in the lower driver with a true 2way crossover these are shooting with MLSSA ,using a Earthworks Mic and Preamp out past 23K +-2db.
Now that is not possible I guess I must recalibrate MLSSA replace the mics and see if I am realy getting those measurments over 5K.

Al
Old 26th May 2003, 06:21 PM   #9
Keith D is offline Keith D  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, mean't to say 10k. I figured that with a 6k crossover point, by 10k the tweeter would have taken over, and the tweeter definitly should have better response in the last octave.
Old 26th May 2003, 06:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Real Bass from TB W3871-S

I don't know why anyone says the TB 871 has neither enough treble OR bass. They get better every day and I am getting REAL bass out of these puppies in a reflex enclosure. The 871 in a reflex encosure is the perfect synergy of a reflex appropriate driver and a good enclosure design. In a good reflex box the free air resonance becomes relatively meaningless and the system low frequency response (and F3 ) drops way below the free air resonance. I love these 871 things. They have changed my life....well sort of . The soundstage is so wide. I have never heard instruments placed outside of the speaker-to-speaker width before ... somehow they do it. I have never had a speaker completely disappear with a wide curtain of sound just there in front of me.
Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!