SMALL ENCLOSURES [width]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

I want to build some small speakers for alongside computer monitor.
Width is really important in my situation so was thinking 75-100mm wide enclosure. Small depth and hight are so important.
Have considered single TB ws871 as driver. [comments please]
Low freq response would be nice but f3 around 100Hz is acceptable.
Are there any 2 way designs around using samall drivers?

If anyone can sugest drivers or point me to others who have designs this it would be apreciated.

Maak

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: correction

Maak said:
sorry meant to say enclosure depth and height are NOT so imortant.

[no wonder new members are moderated]

Maak

Sorry, mate, we only moderate for abuse, not for foolishness;)

As for the TBs, they have a good rep on the board, I don't know them personally, as they are rare in the UK, but I'm sure someone can help, or you could try a search on the Forums, that should give you some ideas.

Good luck

Have you considered fitting the base driver in the side of the speaker units, as once oyu reach low enough frequencys, the sound will become less directional and putting a bass driver out of the direct path won't be too noticable, so you could use small tweeter and mid units, but fit a larger bass unit to still get decent ranges on the speakers.

The W3-871S has an outer diameter of around 90mm-95mm so to have the entire enclosure 100mm wide is cutting it close. Just use some wood that is thin enough and it won't be hard. Make a ported enclosure if you're not using an extra bass driver and it's for computer use, sealed would be smaller but with less bass extention. With the sizes you suggested, well it kinda cuts the possibilities to those two.

side mount woofer

Yes this is really the question i was asking. can i get a 2 way system that fit the width? and can a side mounted woofer even be that thin...i guessed a ported enclosure mightn't work.

I could splay the enclosure a bit so it was wider at back than front.

If i go single driver with the TB, i'll probably go sealed as in
Johns pages but masage the shape a little to achieve thiner enclosure with same volume.
These roll off around 115 Hz which is acceptable to me.

I'm using the 871s too for some computer speakers. I'm using small tweeters with sealed backs to help out above 6khz, even though the tangbands are full range the graphs show they don't perform too well above 5khz or so. I'm going for something about 3.5 inches wide with some 1/4" mdf, or 1/2 if I have to. I'd rather use thin stuff and internally brace it though.
I've got a variable crossover to my subwoofer so I can set it as high as needed to match the tangbands, but I might port the tangbands just to help them out a little so I can get deeper response out of them. I'm not really sure what's a good frequency to tune them to for venting though. If there is a peak due to a high Qtc can that be removed with a notch filter?
Thanks

Keith.
Mind showing me data that the 871 is poor after 5k.
I do now from shooting measurments with MLSSA and first Speaker Workshop that is is +- 5db out past 23k.
So I guess myself and John,Jim Griffin,Bob Wright and Mr Koonce must be all only capable of measuring up tp 5k and that is also were my hearing stops. ;))

At this time I am just finishing the Super ELF this uses the 871S in a seperate volume then a 319S1 in the lower driver with a true 2way crossover these are shooting with MLSSA ,using a Earthworks Mic and Preamp out past 23K +-2db.
Now that is not possible I guess I must recalibrate MLSSA replace the mics and see if I am realy getting those measurments over 5K.

Al:clown:

Real Bass from TB W3871-S

I don't know why anyone says the TB 871 has neither enough treble OR bass. They get better every day and I am getting REAL bass out of these puppies in a reflex enclosure. The 871 in a reflex encosure is the perfect synergy of a reflex appropriate driver and a good enclosure design. In a good reflex box the free air resonance becomes relatively meaningless and the system low frequency response (and F3 ) drops way below the free air resonance. I love these 871 things. They have changed my life....well sort of ;). The soundstage is so wide. I have never heard instruments placed outside of the speaker-to-speaker width before ... somehow they do it. I have never had a speaker completely disappear with a wide curtain of sound just there in front of me.
Greg

SO..TB's or not TB's 1 or 2 way

So apart from you guys descrepency re the 5k drop off ;-)....
Keeping in mind i would like absolute minimum font cabinet width, i would like to know:
1.Is there a TB design i can adapt the shape [width]of keeping same internal volume?
I keep hearing of a ported ELF design...can someone point me to drawings.

2.Is there a 2 way design possible, utilising a sidemounted woofer.

Im not too experienced in the spkr design.
My only experience is building a couple of pairs of 75 ltr vifa floor standers[which sound ok to me... flat to Hz] and building a sensible ghetto blaster [one that actually sounds ok]

thanks
Maak

RAW what is a MTM

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm here to learn.
I hear this word MTM ,Bipolar. Is there anywhere i can find out what these terms mean.

Regarding the 4'' TB sub..... looked for this crossover on forum and couldnt find it.
Could you please direct me to it.
It sounds like it might be what i need.

thanks

Maak

Maak-

We're all here to learn, have fun, and share info. I'll bet for every question you ask, ten people are waiting for an answer.

Here's a site worth browsing to help with finding the definitions of terms and practices.

http://ldsg.snippets.org/index.php3

MTM is a description of a speaker with two mid/bass drivers separated by a tweeter....Bipolar is a speaker with two drivers facing front and rear...not to be confused with DIpole (essentially a speaker with no back). Also Raw referred to BSC, which is short for baffle step compensation. In this case neatly compensated accoustically, rather than electrically.

Clearly, learning the acronyms can be as difficult as deciphering some people's shorthand, but I have a feeling you'll soon be hooked, not just on diy audio, but the 871s as well. (Raw's advice is always worth deciphering) I've built a number of speakers with the 871s, starting with John's design to which you've linked. For monitor speakers, you'll be pleased. The Elf 1.5 (the ported one) is an improvement, and a real delight for the price.

I don't believe he posted that xover, or the xover for the super ELF here. I've searched too, but I could be wrong. Help anyone?

Thanks for the kind words.
Yes I know a few things about some of the TB line.
The Super ELF you will not find on line yet as I have not released it for CSS yet.
It will use the 871 in a cup and the 319S1 driver in the low end.A true 2way 1st order crossover.And these will be going out the door at CSS with assembled xovers, and cabinets assembled.As I have to make a special front cup work with the 871S and this all must go in before cabinet assembly.
So Bob and I are talking at this time what is the best for the DIY in these Super ELF cabinets.
At this time looks as if they will go in raw MDF with the filter installed, and ready for your finishing then install the drivers.
The cup and filter is what makes this a lot more complex over the ELF 1.5.
The 1.5 the filter is assembled on the terminal and then just wired to the drivers.The crossover parts are to large to do so with the parts we are using.
More info will come up on CSS about cost and time of shipping to expect.

OK on the 992 from PE and the 871S in a MTM.
Here you go.

C1 24 uF
L1 1.5 mH 18G

4 ohm and 25uF for a Zoble for those wanting it.

:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.