Help wiring this speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a speaker using four 4" Tang Band full-range 8 ohm drivers, with a helper tweeter to cover the highest frequencies that I know these TB's don't seem to reach too well.

How can I wire these up with as little extra hardware as possible (hopefully just a filter on the tweeter at the most) and keep a safe ohm load?

I could do it with just the 4 drivers, but adding the tweeter confuses things a bit.

Any ideas?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Assuming you want an 8 Ohm impedance you will need to hook up two pairs in series, this will give you 2 x 16Ohm units.

After that putting the 2 pairs in // will halve Rtot so you'll end up with 8 Ohm again.

As far as the tweeter goes, a simple series cap will filter out the bas.
The smaller the cap the less bass it will let through.

Without knowledge of the units used I can't tell anything more than this.

Cheers,;)

I don't remember the model number of the drivers but they are the four inchers with the black phase plug, not the chrome.

I am thinking that for a tweeter I might try the LPG from Madisound that you can get a surface mount for because I like the idea of mounting the tweeter on top of the speaker so I can just avoid alot of baffle reflection problems, and with the tweeter mounted atop the center chennel it won't limit the lateral dispersion as bad, even thought the tweeter won't be playing much at all. Only the very top end that the 4's can't reach.

I made some little towers a few months ago that used the 4's with the chrome phase plug and they sounded pretty good by themselves, but they lacked ay real sparkle in the upper register, so I slapped on one of my extra Lineaum dipole tweeters on each one and it totally fixed the problem and sounded quite good (although the transition between the drivers was a bit off).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.